Bridge Four, Order of Bone?

Gaz

In chapter nine on page 129, reft says to the new recruits in the chasms: "Take a good look lads. This is where we come from. This is why some call us the order of bone." But it's never mentioned any other time in the entire book. Why?, isn't that Dakhor Monastery in Elantris?

Or it could be Teft trying to sound all mystical and attempting to integrate the bridgemen into the their midst, because as it stood at the beginning of the book they were having trouble training the bridge men to overcome their depression, this way he inspired them a bit. Hell If I was told I was joining a group that survived impossible odds called the Order of Bone I think I would be pretty excited. :lol:  

• 1 month later...

Found something interesting re-reading Elantris.

Elantris Spoiler

Dilaf wasn’t just a monk, and he wasn’t just a gragdet; he was monk and gragdet of the most infamous monastery in Fjorden. Dakhor. The Order of Bone.

Sanderson, Brandon (2007-04-01). Elantris (Kindle Locations 10623-10624). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

And from WoR.

“Take a good look, lads,” Teft said to them. “This is where we come from. This is why some call us the order of bone.

Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 129). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

I am going to guess that this is just a minor oversight on Brandon's side - the phrase probably sounded cool to him, so he unintentionally added it in two of his books. I figured Teft uses the term because the chasms are Bridge 4's, and they are littered with bones.

I thought it was because they wore Parshendi bones on their bridgeruns.

Beat me to it, take an upvote!

They charged into battle massacres wearing the bright orange bones of their enemies (or at least their non-human ones).  Literally EVERYBODY notices this (on both sides), though I would have liked to see it from the Parshendi point of view (beyond them trying to kill Kaladin).

I'd be more surprised if they didn't have a nickname than if they were named the "Order of Bone"

I think this is one of those... cracks in the walls between worlds. Something seeped through, and to those on either side alone there is nothing that interesting about it, but to Those that Travel, it is an... interesting motion.

I'm actually wondering if (Hoed) Hoid started the whole thing.

In chapter nine on page 129, reft says to the new recruits in the chasms: "Take a good look lads. This is where we come from. This is why some call us the order of bone." But it's never mentioned any other time in the entire book. Why?, isn't that Dakhor Monastery in Elantris?

I was re-reading this thread and just realized that you already pointed out the link to Elantris.  Sorry about that Gaz!  I found the link on my own and was excited to post so just did a search for an existing thread and added the quotes without fully comprehending your original post. 

• Chaos locked this topic