Something that's bothering me (FULL BOOK SPOILERS)

learhpa

We know, by the end of the book, that Gavilar talked to Taravangian about his visions and his plans. 

> "He had taken the first major step toward unifying the world, as Gavilar had insisted would need to happen if they were to survive."

> "That was, at least, what the visions had proclaimed. Visions Gavilar had confided in him six years ago, the night of the Alethi king's death."

We know, by the end of the book, that Gavilar talked to Amaram about his visions and his plans.

> "It was happening. It was really happening. The Sons of Honor had, at long last, achieved their goal. Gavilar would be proud.

But we also know, from the fact that Dalinar didn't understand his visions and was confused by them, that Gavilar never confided in Dalinar.

And we know, from the fact that Navani didn't understand his visions and was confused by them, that Gavilar never confided in Navani.

Why did Gavilar decline to confide in his immediate family about something this important and critical?

Why did Gavilar decline to confide in his immediate family about something this important and critical?

Probably because Dalinar was a drunkard and aggressive warlord at the time (I wouldn't have trusted him with anything back then), and Navani was a political creature that he could not trust completely. I'm unsure on Navani.

Probably because Dalinar was a drunkard and aggressive warlord at the time (I wouldn't have trusted him with anything back then), and Navani was a political creature that he could not trust completely. I'm unsure on Navani.

Like most protective men, he probably didn't want to involve immediate members of his family with what could have been (and was) a dangerous enterprise that no one had ever undertook (meaning bringing back the heralds and the gods).

And didn't confide in Dalinar for the reasons you stated.

Edited by Luke.spence

In WotK, Navani mentions at least once to Dalinar that Gavilar wasn't the good man that everyone saw him as.  She doesn't elaborate, but some of the comments in WoR have caused me to speculate on that.  I've got a sneaking suspicion that, like Taravangian and Amaraam, Gavilar was performing some reprehensible actions in order to "save the world".  Bringing his immediate family members into his little conspiracy would have meant exposing them to all of that, and he probably didn't think that they were ready for it.

Aside from the other fact, that Navani hinted at, that Gavilar took up the company of mistresses. I don't have the exact quote, but she said something about never being unfaithful, although she was given reason to be. 

Pretty good reason he wouldn't share with her if he felt at odds with her for some reason. 

Gavilar - Navani relationship was pretty much over, probably long before the visions. She never mourned him properly... so I don't see why he would have confided in her. Dalinar, he was a drunken warlord. Amaram was the most "honorable" lord around there, so he confided in him.

Mt. T is more of the mystery... I am not sure Mr. T was smart then, I think he went to ask for his capacity after talking to Gavilar...

• Chaos locked this topic