Origin of the Heralds

menacekop

Anyone ever postulate a theory on the origin of the Heralds?

I know Brandon has confirmed that they are all human, has he confirmed whether or not they are all from Roshar?

I am still formulating a theory among work friends about the overall conflict between Honor and Odium, part of the theory suggests that the scope of their conflict and the regions it takes place in are larger than Roshar.  I feel that the influence is felt throughout the cosmere in the spirit realm and the cognitive realm, I also feel that the Tranquiline Halls are not unique to Roshar or the Rosharian people.

This leads to a more complex theory on the nature of the oath pact possibly being a plan hatched by Honor to trap Odium on Roshar thereby limiting the destruction of their conflict.

That said, if the scope of this conflict is indeed that large it wouldn't be a streatch to suggest that the Heralds are from all over the cosmere.

What sparked my theory was reading up on the heralds and their essences when I read Nalan with the essence of vapor and the body focus of exhalation I obviously thought Nalthis, breaths, and awakening.  Is it possible that when the conflict between Honor and Odium began, or when the oath pact was formed, that champions from multiple shard worlds were chosen by the residing shards to uphold the oath pact?

Welcome and thank you for a very interesting first post!

My gut says that they probably aren't from the different Shardworlds, but more that there are similarities across the worlds and magics. Like the Lightweaving from Yolen is both different and very similar to the Lightweaving on Roshar. My guess is that the Essences of the Heralds is associative to foci and magic elements from other Shardworlds due to the underlying nature of magic in the Cosmere, rather than because the Heralds are from those worlds. 

That said, I don't have evidence to that effect, it is just my gut. Otherwise, why would the Heralds remain on Roshar and not return to their own planets now that they are free of the Oathpact? 

There are a couple of other interesting similarities that I'm seeing quickly... Blood/Shash and then Bloodsealing on Sel, Foil/Kak and Metal on Scadrial...

One other issue in them being from different shardworlds, we do have a WoB that says that Shash is Jezrien's daughter. 

GAH!! I can't wait for WoR to come out so I can read it finally :)

Thanks for the reply sir!

Like many I have been lurking here for a while, but with the excitement for WoR I just could not help but begin to participate

There isn’t nearly enough evidence to support my theory but its fun to postulate as my buddies and I go off on wild speculation tangents, this is one that I liked the best so I thought I would throw it out there.

In reply I would like to say that my theory does not rely on all of the heralds being from different cosmere planets perhaps just a few.

Also one reason they don’t go back could be because they don’t know how to go back, its possible they were chosen for the job and brought here w/o knowledge of how they themselves can world hop.

Anyway all speculation at this point and it just amazes me how Sanderson is capable of weaving such a rich and deep universe that I can spend days and weeks speculating so many different outcomes.

It is exciting :)

It is true that they could be from a select few planets, and maybe with the breaking of the Oathpact they don't have enough "umph" to access Shadesmar to world hop.

I do think they know how to world hop, or they would have trouble returning to their "damnation" between desolations, though perhaps Honor himself transported them since he was still around at that point. 

I agree his ability to craft these deep worlds amazes me as well! You're in good company here and continue to speculate away!

I'm more inclined to think they're all from the same place. Shallash is Jezrien's daughter, and

Nalan's friend, likely a Herald, refers to Jezrien, a King before he became a Herald, as 'my lord', which seems to indicate he came from the same place too. Lots of assumptions here though.

That's three already that came from the same place.

I'm more inclined to think they're all from the same place. Shallash is Jezrien's daughter, and

Nalan's friend, likely a Herald, refers to Jezrien, a King before he became a Herald, as 'my lord', which seems to indicate he came from the same place too. Lots of assumptions here though.

That's three already that came from the same place.

My Lord could also be a reference to the fact that Jezrien appears to also lead the Heralds. A king among Heralds if you will.

• Chaos locked this topic