surgebinders=voidbringers

shinintendo

What if Jasnah is wrong and the parshendi weren't the voidbringers.

If the oathpact is an agreement between Honor and the heralds about giving them spren to bond with and gain powers to lead mankind against the Desolations. 

What if the voidbringer is actually a nick name put on human who bonded with spren of their own volition without the acceptance of honor, they are not KR officially just renegades with their own agenda.

And why everyone against them bonding with spren? could it be they cannot be called KR as the oathpact is shattered (thinking gem here maybe it was shattered in the Shattered Plains) and just be Voidbringers when acted evil -> bring the Everstorm.

“Shardblades,” Lift said. “Worth a whole kingdom. Built to kill Voidbringers.” And they had two of the things. Crazy.
<skip>
Built to kill Voidbringers...

Maybe we can take it as a clue who are the Voidbringers, Darkness who we believe is one of the heralds think of her as potential voidbringer.

“Others may be detestable, but they do not dabble in arts that could return Desolation to this world.” His words were so cold. “What you are must be stopped.”

Also to support the theory.

Sorry if it was discussed before couldn't find anything on it on search.

Please help me develop it or disapprove it since I'm not strong about the lore.

Edited by shinintendo

There are additional comments that might support this in WoK. In one of the death-speak intros, someone talked about one surgebinder in particular. He said that they should be more wise than normal men since they have a spren, but one surgebinder did something bad.

It wasn't an epigraph, it was the Nohadon vision. 

"Alakavish was a Surgebinder. He should have known better. And yet, the Nahel bond gave him no more wisdom than a regular man. Alas, not all spren are as discerning as honorspren." (WoK hardcover p. 849)

There is no mention of Voidbringers in the vision, either, but this was from before the KR were founded so I'm not sure if that does anything for the theory.

Also wanted to add, I read in other thread about Voidbringers opposite powers to KR's 10. I don't believe there are such powers, just the same 10 with different alignments of the user.

Can someone post the excerpt of the Stormfather talking to Dalinar about his surprise the spren copied his power (not the same words ;) ) I just can't find it.

Here you go.

The Almighty turned to him. “I was surprised when these orders arrived. I did not teach my Heralds this. It was the spren—wishing to imitate what I had given men—who made it possible. You will need to refound them. This is your task. Unite them. Create a fortress that can weather the storm. Vex Odium, convince him that he can lose, and appoint a champion. He will take that chance instead of risking defeat again, as he has suffered so often. This is the best advice I can give you.”

Thanks Duskshard. I will try to analyze the passage, to the best of my knowledge.

“They were a solution, a way to offset the destruction of the Desolations. Ten orders of knights, founded with the purpose of helping men fight, then rebuild.”

Ok the almighty created 10 orders of knights with specific purpose. (does rebuild hint about Dalinar thought about how useful the Shardplates would be if the common folk used it?)

“I was surprised when these orders arrived. I did not teach my Heralds this. It was the spren—wishing to imitate what I had given men—who made it possible.

Ok I'm thinking couple of things here.

Can I take it literally? did the knights went on a assignment? did the almighty "called" them and they arrived?

The almighty taught the knights something (is it purpose? powers?)

The spren, imitating him, gave them something he had given men in general (surgebinding?).

Edit: Instead of double post I will add another thing, it's OT but it warrent a lookout.

“There’s a fortress ahead,” he said, continuing forward. “It must not still exist—if it did, it would be famous. It looks like it’s created entirely from obsidian. Finlike sides rising toward peaked tips above, towers like arrowheads… Stormfather. It’s majestic.

and 

Create a fortress that can weather the storm

Why the instruction to create a fortress? Can I assume the old one in the Purelake got destoryed if not why not use it instead?

even so Can't they operate without a fortress that can handle the storm? the army did fine with the storm till now.

Is the fortress location significant to the location of the enemies? you build a fortress in important place to launch attacks from.

Edited by shinintendo

Why the instruction to create a fortress? Can I assume the old one in the Purelake got destoryed if not why not use it instead?

even so Can't they operate without a fortress that can handle the storm? the army did fine with the storm till now.

Is the fortress location significant to the location of the enemies? you build a fortress in important place to launch attacks from.

I always assumed the fortress was more metaphorical: Roshar needs to get its collective sh*t together and prepare to defend themselves from the Voidbringers, or else they'll all die in the Final Desolation (the Everstorm).

Ok the almighty created 10 orders of knights with specific purpose.

The Almighty did NOT create/found the KR. They were founded based on the Way of Kings. They were 10 orders of Surgebinders that were dedicated to serve mankind before, during and after the Desolations. The Surgebinders existed before Nohadon, the KR did not.

Ok I'm thinking couple of things here.

Can I take it literally? did the knights went on a assignment? did the almighty "called" them and they arrived?

Again the Almighty had very little to do with the KR (as far as we know). Bonding with spren created Surgebinders, however the KR were more of a unified group of Surgebinders following the teachings of the Way of Kings and their own specific Ideals. 

I did not teach my Heralds this.

The almighty taught the knights something (is it purpose? powers?)

The spren, imitating him, gave them something he had given men in general (surgebinding?).

The Almighty talks about teaching the Heralds, not the Knights. The spren imitated the Heralds (the 10 Heralds for the 10 orders of KR)

As others have pointed out, I think the fortress is a metaphor. Basically just keep surviving and make Odium think that he will lose again. If he makes a reckless choice out of desperation (like choosing a champion), it might give humans an edge.

Edited by xbauks

Okay, That is just too freaking funny. I never thought I would see the day when an Xbauks and a Shintendo conversed with each other about TWoKs.  :P

That...I didn't even notice...My purpose in life has been found! Must find more consoles to converse with!

Since the KR were surgebinders and the KR fought against the voidbringers.  It seems highly improbable that surgebinder = voidbringer.

I mean by that, current surgebinders that are not KR obviously are Voidbringers.

unless they will follow the shattered oath they cannot be KR and bring only destruction that's why darkness is hunting them he knows the truth.

in the past there were the renegade voidbringers surgebinders type and KR surgebinders type, now only one type remained.

hope I did better this time, sorry English is not my 1st language as you probably assumed.

That makes more sense.  I understand now.  Maybe, but it still seems unlikely to me.  For this to work, you'd essentially have to have a significant number of spren of the same type(s) as KR spren that were aligned with Odium.  There would have to be sufficient numbers of these non-KR surgebinders to make the fight something so significant to be called a desolation.  I don't see how so many spren (which are splinters of Cultivation and Honor) would align themselves in such a fashion. 

• Chaos locked this topic