Voidbringers are dead?

DiamondMind

When reading the previews for WoR again, I stumbled across this line during Kaladin's inspection of Dalinar's camp in chapter 5: 

The dead didn’t need to become Voidbringers to haunt this camp

So is this just a superstition or is there some truth to it? Maybe Odium (or Odium-spren) can take over a dead body somehow? Or maybe Odium can capture souls and use them is some fashion like the Dark One in Wheel of Time? (*shudder*)

I'm out of ideas. What do you think?

• 4 weeks later...

Stone = Thunderclasts

Smoke = Midnight essence

Flesh = something. They may technically be called something else besides voidbringers, but this is getting to the point of pedantry.

There are ten Unmade. There are Ten Essences. Flesh is both a Body Focus, and a Soulcasting property, which seems to be more then just for soulcasting. Sounds legit to me...

The word "Voidbringer" is pretty heavily charged in Roshar. It's being used in a number of different contexts, all negative, but not necessarily related. It seems that whenever somebody bad and unknown happens or is mentioned, the mythical Voidbringers are to blame. 

Way back when voidbringers may have had a specific technical meaning, possibly the Parshmen "Forms of Power" that utilize spren derived from Odium. And what it used to mean a few thousand years ago does not matter jack rust. Today, In current day Roshar, it seems to be an umbrella term for any and all forces of the Almighties Archememy. Aka Bad Things That Want To Kill You. And that definition works for me.

But my point was not that any zombies that might pop up should be called voidbringers. My point was that the Original Poster was on to something and it would not be unreasonable to, you know, be on the lookout for flesh golems.

The Rosharians that this little bit of folklore came from dig out the stone to make latrines, but burn their low class dead, and transform the bodies of high class ones. They could dig out burial cairns, but do not. It could be because burning flesh smells better than burning poop, or it could be a sound bit of tactical advice whose origin has been lost to time.

I am saying this now, so that if there is another pitched battle between Odiums forces and the Rosharian Defense League where the Rosharian dead guy's get up and start playing for the other team because they forgot to police the dead bodies, I can say something awesome like "I totally saw the foreshadowing for this" rather than something lame like "That Army of the Risen Dead over there aren't actually voidbringers"

Way back when voidbringers may have had a specific technical meaning, possibly the Parshmen "Forms of Power" that utilize spren derived from Odium. And what it used to mean a few thousand years ago does not matter jack rust. Today, In current day Roshar, it seems to be an umbrella term for any and all forces of the Almighties Archememy. Aka Bad Things That Want To Kill You. And that definition works for me.

But my point was not that any zombies that might pop up should be called voidbringers. My point was that the Original Poster was on to something and it would not be unreasonable to, you know, be on the lookout for flesh golems.

The Rosharians that this little bit of folklore came from dig out the stone to make latrines, but burn their low class dead, and transform the bodies of high class ones. They could dig out burial cairns, but do not. It could be because burning flesh smells better than burning poop, or it could be a sound bit of tactical advice whose origin has been lost to time.

I am saying this now, so that if there is another pitched battle between Odiums forces and the Rosharian Defense League where the Rosharian dead guy's get up and start playing for the other team because they forgot to police the dead bodies, I can say something awesome like "I totally saw the foreshadowing for this" rather than something lame like "That Army of the Risen Dead over there aren't actually voidbringers"

More fleshed out, I like this even better.

And I'll claim to have inspired you! Ha!

• Chaos locked this topic