The Highstorms and Surgebinders (spoilers)

cris34b

To start this off, I'm going to give a little Brandon quote. 

"The Highstorms are more related to the mist from Mistborn"

This leads me to believe that first of all, the Highstorms may be some remnant body left behind of Honor after his splintering, as the mists were a sort of weakened body of Preservation after her trapping Ruin. This is supported by the time Kaladin sees the large face in the sky, possibly the face of Honor, or, another theory, this is the face of Odium, and the storms are his doing, which would be supported by the threat of the Everstorm. But regardless, we're talking Honor here. 

Now, another interesting thing about the Mist is that later in the series,

(Mistborn spoilers)

people gained Misting powers when they stepped out into the mist.

This could be similar to the Highstorms in this theorized way. Perhaps people need to go out into the Highstorms, or at least experience some exposure to them to develop a bond with a spren? Kaladin only started noticing Syl after spending time in the slave carts, where he had no choice but to spend time in the storms, since they were poorly protected. This could be Honor's way of communicating with people/helping them. 

(Mistborn spoilers)

Ruin needed metal spikes, Preservation needed the mists

So perhaps Honor needs the storms? This could be supported by Dalinar's visions, confirmed to be sent by Honor, only happening during the storms.

Edited by cris34b

Interesting theory. I would say it's plausible, as Kaladin spent time in the storms and is obviously on his way to becoming a Radiant. (WoR spoilers) However, do remember that Shallan is a Surgebinder, too, with a spren, and she hasn't been exposed to highstorms that I can remember. Jasnah shows no evidence of exposure either (though it's certainly possible in her case). If Shallan does spend time in a highstorm in the next book or so, I'd be more willing to believe this. As it is, we only have one case and one quote to go off of.

Just finished Hero of Ages and was thinking along the same lines.

More along the lines of someone is going to have to do a Vin and absorb a highstorm (everstorm?) for Honor to be rebirthed.

Edited by el_warko

More along the lines of someone is going to have to do a Vin and absorb a highstorm (everstorm?) for Honor to be rebirthed.

Ooh, that is a realy good thought, except that

Honor was splintered by Odium, meaning not only is the person who held Honor before now dead, but Honor himself/itself has been destroyed, as far as we know, beyond fixing. In Mistborn, however, Preservation's Shardholder was dead, but Preservation herself/itself was still alive, just without a host with which to direct her/it's power. So as cool as it would be for the Almighty to be rebirthed and walk this world like a god, it probably won't happen.

This seems more likely. The mists helped "snap" people. They didn't give anyone powers. The power was already in thier genes.

Ooh, that is a realy good thought, except that

Honor was splintered by Odium, meaning not only is the person who held Honor before now dead, but Honor himself/itself has been destroyed, as far as we know, beyond fixing. In Mistborn, however, Preservation's Shardholder was dead, but Preservation herself/itself was still alive, just without a host with which to direct her/it's power. So as cool as it would be for the Almighty to be rebirthed and walk this world like a god, it probably won't happen.

WoB: It is possible to remake a splintered Shard. Going to look it up and get back to you with a link.

Edit: Here it is. It's the 3rd question. This is the closest I could find so far. So It is possible to fix Honour.

Edited by xbauks

WoB: It is possible to remake a splintered Shard. Going to look it up and get back to you with a link.

My bad, yeah, i think i remember what you're talking about. Something about it being very hard to remake a splintered Shard, but not necessarily impossible.

My bad, yeah, i think i remember what you're talking about. Something about it being very hard to remake a splintered Shard, but not necessarily impossible.

Exactly yes. I can't seem to find the source for it. If someone else finds it or has the link I'd appreciate it. I want to make sure I'm not remembering some theory.

Edit: found it. It's the 3rd question. It's not exactly what I was looking for but its close enough.

Edited by xbauks

Issue being that all Rosharian life has been fundamentally designed around Highstorms. That means that they've been around for a long long long time. I think Honor can only show visions from when he was alive, all of which take place in a time with Greatstorm adapted life. Now, we know they represent one of the shards, but they almost seem to be a combination of cultivation and Odium. They are powerful, destructive, and have shaped(cultivated) all life on the planet not in Shinovar.

Kaladin only started noticing Syl after spending time in the slave carts, where he had no choice but to spend time in the storms, since they were poorly protected. This could be Honor's way of communicating with people/helping them. 

But Syl seems to be following Kal a lot longer before that. Syl says she saw him help others during his time in Amaran's army and that's what attracted her. Cenn notes warping of light while he's fighting, when he is protecting him just like his chasm kata scene. So Syl probably was following for a lot longer than his slave days. Possibly from his time being in Amaran's army.

http://books.google.com/books?id=LN_a49HEpmwC&pg=PA172&lpg=PA172&dq=You+used+to+be+vibrant+Syl+Kaladin&source=bl&ots=x8uTh1ilwt&sig=7D8BH5UXVF0xxv2fyCQ5lZeADpg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=41D0UuW_IYnlyQHdm4CoDg&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAA

The section I posted above suggests squad leader days, when "everyone looks up to him, even some lighteyes"(paraphrased) Syl starts showing herself in the carts, but was attracted by his honorable behavior.

Edited by Aminar

WoR spoiler regarding the face in the storm -

In one of the WoR preview chapters, Syl tells Kaladin that he saw the "Stormfather".  While she doesn't explicitly identify when this incident happened, the name and the face in the storm seem to make it pretty clear when it happened.  Unfortunately, we don't yet know who the Stormfather is.  But given Syl's violent reaction to the name Odium when Kaladin used it earlier on, I strongly suspect that the Stormfather isn't Odium.

But Syl seems to be following Kal a lot longer before that. Syl says she saw him help others during his time in Amaran's army and that's what attracted her. Cenn notes warping of light while he's fighting, when he is protecting him just like his chasm kata scene. So Syl probably was following for a lot longer than his slave days. Possibly from his time being in Amaran's army.

Kaladin spent some highstorms under an overhang of rock or other impromtu shelter while in the army. See page 272 of the nook book.

Kaladin spent some highstorms under an overhang of rock or other impromtu shelter while in the army. See page 272 of the nook book.

Yes, but it isn't true that Syl showed herself and bonded with Kaladin ONLY after he spent time in a highstorm. She was definitely with him on his last day in the army (see Cenn describing Kaladin fight, the "random" windspren in the flashback chapter). We have no idea why exactly she was attracted to him--it might be the highstorms, partly, but this isn't proof of it.

Myself, I think that it isn't necessary, since the mists were Snapping people's innate abilities, not adding something external like the Nahel bond does, like xbauks said.

Hmm, I think the Highstorms definitely have something to do with it, but not as much as I previously suggested. Because in WoR, I saw some things which changed my mind slightly on the Nahel Bond.

WoR Spoilers:

Jasnah had to survive in Shadesmar and summon the knight thing to fight for her against her Spren when it first appeared, almost like it was testing her. Shallan had to be exceptionally clever to capture the image of her Cryptic passing her test, as well as being a rather clever person in general, especially with the whole scheme of lies surrounding the Soulcaster and her father's death. Both of these were tests of some sort that had to do with the personality of them, and the intent, I'm guessing, of their Spren. What was Kaladin's test? Was it volunteering to protect his brother in Amaram's army? That seemed rather honorable.

There are many clues that there were highstorms before Honor's splintering.

What I believe is that during a highstorm there is a rift between realms (spiritual and physical), and the spiritual energy leaks and is being captured in gemhearts. Maybe because gemhearts themselves are not of the physical, but are formed again in a rift between realms.

There are many clues that there were highstorms before Honor's splintering.

What I believe is that during a highstorm there is a rift between realms (spiritual and physical), and the spiritual energy leaks and is being captured in gemhearts. Maybe because gemhearts themselves are not of the physical, but are formed again in a rift between realms.

BS said that the Highstorms are like the Mists. Could the Gemhearts be like the beads of Atium? part of Honour/Cultivation/Odium's body?

• Chaos locked this topic