Recreance [WoR Spoilers]

Kessler

The Knights Radiant killed their Spren, by breaking the Oaths. So, it got me thinking. If all Orders shared only the first Oath, all others being different, then it seems natural, that if they did it all together, they would break the first one: "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before the destination." So how exactly did they break it? Would wishing to kill their own Spren, count as violation of the first Oath and thus kill the Spren?  

I was under the impression that the Oaths were broken when they turned their backs on mankind and chose to stop protecting them during the Desolations. Dalinar sees the KR put their swords down and walk away during one of his visions. Now, why they actually walked away may be different than what the religions in Roshar have to say about the Recreance. I think the exact cause of the Recreance is still a bit of a mystery, but I think their Oaths were broken during the moment they put down their weapons and abandoned mankind. 

Yes this is true. Even though the Desolations were believed to be over, the KRs were still expected to protect and guide humankind, which they did for the centuries following the Last Desolation until the Recreance. Therefore, it was an abandonment since they were expected to remain and protect. Also, another point to keep in mind is that it was noted that the KRs were becoming more corrupt over time. 

Also, one order did not participate in the Recreance. I always took this to mean that one of the Heralds guides that group, and as the Heralds are going insane, the group might be close to loosing their spren. 

Darkness was convinced, that Radiant's connection to Spren would invite new Desolations. So, it would make sense, that Radiants, who trusted Heralds, were told the same thing. As I understood from visions, Radiants were protecting humanity from Odium's Spren. The Orders are essentially Paladins, it's unlikely they would abandon their duty for entirely selfish reasons, so my theory is that they did it to somehow prevent Odium's Spren from coming to Roshar. I think, Radiants believed they were preforming a noble and necessary sacrifice to save Roshar from Desolations - nothing else would justify murder of their bonded Spren.   

• Chaos locked this topic