Types of Spren

Oudeis

"Really, you can divide spren into two general groups. Those that respond to emotions and those that respond to forces like fire or wind pressure."

-Shallan, immediately confirmed by Jasnah. Granted, in-universe they are discussing theories that are unproven, so this is hardly concrete information.

If so, however... are lies considered emotions, or forces of nature?

Great question!

I've been discounting that as an irrelevant in-world theory.  Syl was attracted by the gratitude (emotion) of the young soldiers in Kaladin's platoon and provides access to physical (spiritual) forces.  Pattern was presumably attracted to Shallan's creative genius (cognitive) and/or her tortured psyche.  Pattern provides access to cognitive things.  I don't see how either of the spren fit the theory.  Syl is both emotional and physical/spiritual and Pattern is neither.  

I think the "true lies" are forces of nature. To make something true, when it wasn't before, is similar to making something real when it was only an idea before, which is what I think draws creationspren. It's not physical, but neither is the Transformation surge. I still think it counts as natural in this world.

...You seem to be basing this on the premise that creationspren are forces of nature, not emotion, and I disagree with that.

I actually have a random thought. What if all spren have two aspects? The way Windspren are somehow closer to honorspren than other spren are... what if every spren has a natural aspect and an emotional aspect? So there's Spren Type A, and if someone starts a fire they will show up as firespren, and if someone is angry they will show up as angerspren instead.

Just a random thought. Not even true speculation, I don't know how I feel about this idea. I just want to throw it out there and see how it fares in the light of day.

I would consider lies to be emotional (brought into being through consciousness) so without consciousness there wouldn't be any emotions or lies but there would still be forces of nature. (fire, wind etc.)

#################

Something else to consider.

Has anyone else notice that the bond between the spren and those they're bonded to seems to be different this time?

We know from Wyndle that even though he's bonded to Lift that she shouldn't be able to touch him. Yet she can.

Of course, no matter how I manifest, nobody can touch me, as I barely have any substance in this Realm.”

“Nobody but me,” Lift whispered, inching down the hallway.

“You shouldn’t be able to either,” he said, sounding troubled

We've also see evidence that Jasnah can touch Ivory.

She found Jasnah herself just outside, reaching toward the doorknob, her left hand cupped before her. A small figure made of inky blackness—shaped like a man in a smart, fashionable suit with a long coat—stood in her palm. He melted away into shadow as he saw Shallan.  

Then there's the scene where Kaladin can feel Syl's weight on his hand.

She stepped onto his hand, and he stood up, lifting her.

She walked up his fingers and he could actually feel a little weight, which was unusual. 

So if even their bond partner isn't supposed to be able to physically feel them then why are we seeing that happening? What's changed? and what could it mean?

Could the bond be stronger now, pulling the spen more into the physical realm and their partner more into the cognitive? 

I can not remember where I read it, but I believe brandon said something along the lines of spren being of Honor or cultivation or a blend of both. If I am not misremembering, then this means some are emotion-based (honor), some are natural forces (cultivation), and some are a combination of emotion and nature (cultivation and honor blending their essences of something.)

• 4 weeks later...

Woah. Outis. Great idea!

What if there are NOT differeing types of spren as we imagine. What if instead there are spren scattered about and they respond to stimuli by manifesting as that type of spren?

For instance what if spren are just blank cognitive beings, then suddenly a good fire appears in the physical realm, so they pop in as flamespren to see/interact with it. Then if someone comes along and beats their uncle in a race, those same spren manifest as Gloryspren.

Not that this would take away their other aspect (if the had one) of also being a liespren or honorspren or other such cognitive things.

• Chaos locked this topic