Making Highstorms

Moogle

“So… stormform?” Eshonai said.

“Enough people of that form,” Venli said, “could control a highstorm, or even summon one.”

So, what the heck is going on here? Highstorms can be summoned? This implies to me that they aren't natural - there's something sending the highstorms every once in a while. And since stormform uses the red lightning bolt spren that Syl sees, is this evidence that Odium is sending the highstorms? Perhaps when he Invested himself in Roshar it caused the highstorms.

How do you control a highstorm? That implies you can keep a highstorm in one place. If it's an explosion (as per the theory by Satsuoni) that doesn't work at all.

To get into a form, you have to act a certain way (according to epigraphs). In Eshonai's chapter, we see her act angry and

She spoke to Reprimand to the mateforms, her words so passionate that she actually attracted angerspren. She saw them coming from a ways off, drawn by her emotion, moving with an incredible speed—like lightning dancing toward her across the distant stone. The lightning pooled at her feet, turning the stones red.

These appear to be the spren that Syl is worried about:

“Spren like red lightning,” Syl said softly. “Dangerous spren. Spren I haven’t seen before. I catch them in the distance, on occasion. Stormspren? Something dangerous is coming. About that, the glyphs are right.”

So... angry listeners -> stormform? I sense Odium. Or Honor? Honor apparently represents emotional spren, and Vengeance could definitely be an aspect of Honor. There's also the Stormfather. And Syl didn't react with revulsion or anything towards the spren like she did at mention of Odium. She just says they are 'dangerous'.

Edited by Moogle

And since stormform uses the red lightning bolt spren that Syl sees, is this evidence that Odium is sending the highstorms? Perhaps when he Invested himself in Roshar it caused the highstorms.

Where does it say that stormform uses these lightning bolt spren? So far we just know that Syl has seen them in the distance and Eshonai attracted them once when she was angry.

Where does it say that stormform uses these lightning bolt spren? So far we just know that Syl has seen them in the distance and Eshonai attracted them once when she was angry.

It doesn't, but if Syl says something is dangerous, then I take her at her word. It's possible I'm overconfident in making the connection, but we do know that the listeners (typing this name felt weird but I like it more than Parshendi) use spren to change form. Stormspren resulting in stormform is a pretty easy connection to make.

Caution...Wild speculation follows:

I think they might be angerspren. Or a type of spren similar. 

To me this ties in nicely with the theory of Jez holding pieces of Honor.  Also how honor deals with emotions. He would be angry at the shattering of Honor and angry about how one Herald honoring the oath pact (maybe?) isn't enough. Add to that that his mental capacity might be strained and his honor characteristics could have been twisted. Vengance could be a (twisted) form of honor as mentioned above (or the dark side if you will). This could be why the high storms are so brutal even.

The Parshendi songs could be the way they communicate with spren or their "gods" (shards?). Almost like a prayer. They pray/sing for the desired form and it is granted by attracting the spren called or sent by the shard? Stormform could be a calling for spren and a deeper connection to the high storms as a result - they could then "summon" them or rather direct their energy. - like how K is able to direct the storm light....

Edited by zandi

It doesn't, but if Syl says something is dangerous, then I take her at her word. It's possible I'm overconfident in making the connection, but we do know that the listeners (typing this name felt weird but I like it more than Parshendi) use spren to change form. Stormspren resulting in stormform is a pretty easy connection to make.

Ah yeah. I guess we don't explicitly know they're called Stormspren, but I see the connection and it makes sense to me as well. I'm excited for more Listener POVs, because it seems like they're trying really hard to break their connection with Odium.

If I summon a storm, does it appear near me or does it start at the Origin and come to me a while later? 

I understood it as coming from Origin and traveling to you. Good question...

If you agree with Satsuoni's model, one might imagine that during a highstorm, one creates a Spiritual energy potential well at some location.  The energy from the highstorm falls in to this well (like water into pothole) and just sits there.  Back in the Physical realm, this energy is leaking over and causing crazy rain and wind, which is now localized.  Eventually the potential well will dissipate and the energy would keep moving westward and the storm would disperse.

One could then imagine moving the physical location of the potential well around, causing the localized part of the storm to move.

A high storm is not the best weapon against the Knights, as they absorb storm light, so while threatened by the storm, all their magical abilities will be enhanced.

Yeah, personally I'm wondering if we'll see a scene in a later book where there's enough KR to drain a high storm of its stormlight (and kick considerably chull in the process).

If these storms can be created by characters in the book then it stands to reason they can be stopped too at some point.

My take, enough Parshendi in Stormform and the desolation begins.

After ~58 odd days of deadlocked meetings, Eshonai, the only/strongest voice in the anti stormform camp (she said she'd think about it and decided no) get mur-didddily-urdered (killed by Sadeas) / dies in a large battle (Team Alethi attacks the central plateau). The Parshendi lose their plate and sword as a consequence retaliate in Stormform. Odium laughs, oh how he laughs.

Bwah ha ha, ha ha.

Also, ~4500 years ago the Parshendi of old realised this would happen and "forgot" about the majority of their forms, remebering two (2) as it was neccessary as a plot point and/or they didn't want to commit genisuicide.

It's possible you're overconfident? Syl is guessing at the name of something, Venli is trying to translate old words remembered by the dim-witted, and from that you're making wild assumptions. Stormspren resulting in stormform is an easy connection to make, but 1. we don't know that they're stormspren, and 2. what's easy or obvious isn't always right.

Why would stormspren show up when Eshonai was angry? There wasn't a storm in sight. When you feel victorious, you don't get lightspren or awardspren; you get gloryspren. Rainspren show up when it rains, not when you're sad or worried.

In addition to which, we know almost nothing about how the listeners change form. We're guessing that it has to be done during a highstorm, it seems to have something to do with spren, and it impacts their songs. That's about it. Starting to claim that you're an expert, that certain conclusions are obvious or easy when you've got nothing to base it on, is premature.

• Chaos locked this topic