Theory: Oathpact formed by Cultivation

masaru

Reason is this paragraph in Ch.49 To Care:

“It was odd. It fed his nagging worry that he was subject to some kind of supernatural curse of the type that were supposed to happen to people who sought the Old Magic. There were stories of evil men made immortal, then tortured over and over again—like Extes, who had his arms torn off each day for sacrificing his son to the Voidbringers in exchange for knowledge of the day of his death. It was just a tale, but tales came from somewhere.”

Sounds an awful lot like the Heralds' situation.

Sounds like Damnation. Just because they blame the night mother does not mean it is her creation. It was of Honor and could have conceivably have been a result of the efforts of both he and cultivation, t I think it unlikely. I think the shattering of he Oathpact is what killed Tanavast since he had invested it with his power in order to keep odium contained--at least that is my best guess from all the material currently available.

Interesting idea although I pretty sure that Honor was the architect behind the oathpact due to what Syl says on page 913, "I've remembered what kind of spren I am...I bind things...I am an Honor spren. Spirit of Oaths. Of promises. Of nobility." It seems like an "honorable"/"noble" thing for the heralds to do. The heralds chose to suffer so that the rest did not have to. A few to suffer so others could have a chance at survival. Still, I think it was still a really rotten deal. Points to Odium on this one, for he had the better side of the deal on this one.

I agree w/Dark_Sun77 that Honor would likely have been involved, mainly because it seems like his modus operandi.  I believe the theory that Honor's plan wasn't to have the Heralds tortured between Desolations, but that Odium outmaneuvered him.

Cultivation could well have been a party to the oathpact.  For it to be a pact, there would have to be more than one party, so I think multiple Shards were involved. 

With the power level involved, I believe the Oathpact must have involved Shards. I don't think Shards can enforce agreements upon each other, so I think the agreement must be based on the Shards investing (binding) parts of themselves. 

The name of it, combined with Syl's line about honourspren "binding" things, seems to imply that the oathpact was, if not solely of Honour, then at least majorly his design.

It actually makes me wonder what a 'prison' formed from Cultivation would be like, and if that might be the key to defeating Odium on Roshar. A Prison which grows and becomes more powerful as time passes? Or maybe she wasn't involved in the Oathpact because spending millenia between Desolations would result in her 'cultivating' Odium's hatred.

• Chaos locked this topic