Baseless Speculation: Spheres, Stormlight and Money

Jaconis

I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but I've certainly not been through the whole forum, so I apologize if I've missed it.

I've been thinking about how the currency of the world (all across Roshar? Or just Alethkar?) also happens to be the fuel for the world's magic. I don't think that can be a coincidence.

For one thing, could this valuable resource really have been used for mere currency in the time of the Radiants, when they knew exactly what stormlight could be used for? Did they make sure they were always the wealthiest to ensure they had adequate stormlight? That doesn't seem to fit with their ideals; hoarding all the wealth to maintain their power, while others may starve for lack of funds? That doesn't seem very honorable.

No, I think there was a different currency used by the people of the world, or possibly just a system of bartering. I DO think that the Radiants hoarded and carried around pouches of spheres, but not for wealth. I think they carried it around as a constantly available source of stormlight.

Just as people have theorized that the Lighteyes became the noblemen of the nation because people associated light eyes with Radiants, I think the common people saw their idols carrying spheres and assumed they were valuable. Combine that with the rarity of gemstones and its easy to see how they became a currency.

I'm not really sure this has anything to do with the grand scheme the book, or that it's important at all. Maybe Dalinar will figure it out from his visions and will try to debase the currency? That would just make the other highprinces even angrier with him.

Anyway, thoughts? Problems with the idea?

They're valuable in part because of soulcasting, think more along the lines of Atium. It isnt really worth anything to you unless you can use it, but it does serve as a perfect example that value is subjective.

On Earth precious metals are usually held as a baseline, up until modern times but in reality these items are only worth what we believe them to be worth. On Roshar those gems when infused with Stormlight can be used to create other things. such as food, metals, wood and other items, this is why Emerald's are so valuable as they essentially make warfare practical.

Certainly a good theory, it would make sense that in a time when magic was more prevalent, most surgebinders/radiants would have had infused spears with them, which could have influenced it becoming used as a currency.

However, I think the primary reason for using Spheres as currency is a far more practical one. Consider the implications of soulcasting. The only know materials that cannot be soulcast are gemstones, so they are the only currency whose value is immune to the affects of soulcasting. If the primary currency on Roshar was gold coins, then any individual with a soulcaster would be able to create huge sums of money from worthless materials like stone. If this was the case the value of the currency would collapse.

There is also the point that gemstones are impossible to forge on Roshar. As only true gemstones are capable of absorbing stormlight.

-Postmaster Lipwig

Edited by Moist_von_Lipwig

Good point about counterfeiting.

Also stormlight gems seem to be the primary sort of illumination on Roshar. The only the drawback is replenishment every few days. That is still way better than any other light source at Roshar technical level.  So the gems will be a trade stock just on this quallity alone .

Edit :spelling

Edited by terox

Just as people have theorized that the Lighteyes became the noblemen of the nation because people associated light eyes with Radiants, I think the common people saw their idols carrying spheres and assumed they were valuable. Combine that with the rarity of gemstones and its easy to see how they became a currency.

I'm not really sure this has anything to do with the grand scheme the book, or that it's important at all. Maybe Dalinar will figure it out from his visions and will try to debase the currency? That would just make the other highprinces even angrier with him.

Anyway, thoughts? Problems with the idea?

I would not be surprised if brandon had thought that out while worldbuilding Roshar. Considering how he plans for the next serious Mistborn trilogy to have myths and legends based on events in the first trilogy. He likes extrapolating history. And this idea makes logical sense to me.

As far as the economics go, there have been lots of good points already about counterfeiting, soulcasting, etc. In particular I agree with the idea that using spheres for indoor lighting expands their utility and appeal greatly.

For one thing, could this valuable resource really have been used for mere currency in the time of the Radiants, when they knew exactly what stormlight could be used for? Did they make sure they were always the wealthiest to ensure they had adequate stormlight? That doesn't seem to fit with their ideals; hoarding all the wealth to maintain their power, while others may starve for lack of funds? That doesn't seem very honorable.

Regarding the magic and radiants, though, I can see the KR actively encouraging the use of spheres as currency. There are few things more ubiquitously carried than money, so if you want to be sure of access to stormlight wherever you go, what better way than to ensure everyone you see will have some in their pocket or safe-pouch? This especially works if people treat dun spheres with suspicion, because then there is a system in place to regularly infuse spheres for mundane reasons, and you don't have to dedicate your own KR resources to monitoring the stormlight and gem supply.

If the current gem/sphere supply is any indication, it seems that from a magical perspective there are plenty of stormlight reservoirs to go around. And except during the Weeping, they are refillable every few days.

Re: the OP of whether spheres as currency is a post-radiant development, Dalinar's Starfalls vision caught my attention. He observes that the light is from an oil lantern rather than stormlight, which strikes him as primitive. I can't recall a vision where he mentions spheres or gems except as part of a fabrial like Regrowth. He doesn't always comment on their absence either, though, so it's not difinitive. Does anyone have a quote from one of his visions where spheres were present? If not, that goes quite a ways toward supporting the theory of the OP in my mind.

Remember, on a world with very little wood and the necessity of always being near shelter, something that gives light is going to be very valuable. So gems are useful to everyone on Roshar just for that fact alone.

And in terms of Soulcasting utility....I think the value system might be based on it, but at this point it's pretty much a "fiat money" system, the same way that a 100 dollar bill is worth more than a 1 dollar bill (because Uncle Sam says so). Remember that the gems in spheres can't actually be used for Soulcasting by the ardents; they're too small to be fit into Soulcasters, and hence aren't useful for their stormlight, aside from ilumination.

• Chaos locked this topic