Spren Bonds

Swimmingly

Kal and Syl:

From what we can see, Syl appeared to have been a mindless windspren before being bound to Kal. She seems to have been drawn in by his behaviour. She starts fairly flighty and mindless, but develops as a character as we go on.

Shallan and Puppy:

Puppy was presumably having difficulty transferring to the physical until Shallan sealed him in the physical with an act of precise creation. He is currently mentally impaired, and seems to like playing.

Jasnah and Ivory:

Ivory was presumably from the Cognitive before being transferred over, and remembers enough of the cognitive that he knows that what he did was a "betrayal of his people." He seems to be intelligent, and has a Victorian sense of fashion.

El and the Cryptics:

He sees them in mirrors. They scare him. It doesn't look like he's gotten a puppy yet.

Can I just take this moment to call Shallan's spren 'Crytten' (pronounced 'kritten')? I feel the dog comparisons are out of line when it's clearly a kitten.

As for Jasnah and Ivory: Ivory may have started out stupid as well. Who knows?

Ym and Crystally-spren:

Crystally-spren was very shy and bad at talking. Seems like they just bonded.

Lift and Wyndle:

Wyndle starts off quiet, and never talks, just follows Lift around while being mute. Later, he develops.

Edited by Moogle

Jasnah and Ivory - I'd really like to find out more about the early days in their "relationship."  Ivory (apparently) was able to make himself visible to Jasnah both outside of Shadesmar and in Shadesmar before they (apparently) bonded.  

Pure, wild speculation, but maybe Jasnah was able to establish the bonding process while in one of her early trips to Shadesmar?  Maybe she was even able to "physically" take him out of Shadesmar with her when she departed, and so Ivory's transference to the Physical realm wasn't as traumatic as puppyspren/Crytten/whatever?

Moogle was pretty adamant guys.... I don't know if we can win him over.

I see that I am alone against the vast hordes of dog-lovers. Mine is a lowly position, but I will not stand down from what I know to be right.

SHALLAN'S SPREN IS A KITTEN MORE THAN A DOG!

You can beat me and torture me, but I will never give in.

If I were capable of actual art, I would have produced fan-art of Shallan's spren kicking her pencils onto the ground and messing up her papers while she stares there frowning at it. Upon its unveiling, I envisage all of you changing your minds and coming to the light of spren-as-kittens. Sort of like a certain scene from Faith of the Fallen (not that I am in any way acknowledging that the series exists).

Edited by Moogle

One thing I have noted is that while Syl seems to have developed to the point that she has started understanding concepts such as sarcasm her long term memory, outside of vague impressions, has remained largely lost.

Wyndle's long term memory seems largely intact and it is implied that Ivory's is fairly coherent.  So why the difference? 

I was thinking their could be a number of different reasons.

1.  Some basic difference between Honor type spren and Cultivation type spren.

2.  The loss of Honor in some way damaged all the Honor type spren.

3.  The spren linked with Knights Radiant during the betrayal didn't all die and were instead damaged.(From a cognitive viewpoint loosing all memory of who you are might be thought of as the same thing as dying.)

Wyndle's long term memory seems largely intact and it is implied that Ivory's is fairly coherent.  So why the difference?

An explanation is that Syl spent the past thousand years floating about in the Physical, whereas Wyndle and Ivory have been living the good life in Shadesmar. Wyndle also had 'protections' put in place when he left Shadesmar, which Syl never had.

An explanation is that Syl spent the past thousand years floating about in the Physical, whereas Wyndle and Ivory have been living the good life in Shadesmar. Wyndle also had 'protections' put in place when he left Shadesmar, which Syl never had.

So why was she floating around in the Physical realm and not hanging out in Shadesmar?  Are all the Honorspren hanging out in the physical realm for some reason?

Interestingly all the bonded humams are pretty isolated from society as a whole.

Jasnah hardly seems like the type to make friends easily.

Shallan seems to have lived a fairly isolated life.

Lift is constantly moving from place to place.

Kalidin is probably the least isolated of the bondies having had his former bridge crew around when he attracted syl's eye.

I wonder if this is a requirement of the bonding process or a reflection of the spren themselves. I imagine life in the physical realm can be particularity lonely for a spren.

Interestingly all the bonded humams are pretty isolated from society as a whole.

Jasnah hardly seems like the type to make friends easily.

Shallan seems to have lived a fairly isolated life.

Lift is constantly moving from place to place.

Kalidin is probably the least isolated of the bondies having had his former bridge crew around when he attracted syl's eye.

I wonder if this is a requirement of the bonding process or a reflection of the spren themselves. I imagine life in the physical realm can be particularity lonely for a spren.

He attracted Syl when he refused the Shardblade. She took a while to show herself. Like, 8 months and several escape attempts.

He attracted Syl when he refused the Shardblade. She took a while to show herself. Like, 8 months and several escape attempts.

The thing is a case can be made that she was attracted to him well before he refused the shardblade, but the act of it helped form a stronger bond.

The thing is a case can be made that she was attracted to him well before he refused the shardblade, but the act of it helped form a stronger bond.

Good point. He was getting pretty incredible with that spear of his.

I wonder if he's going to meet anyone from his old crew in Amaram's army at any point?

We're pretty sure she was abandoned after the KR defaulted.

So it is likely that some/most/all of the bonded spren at the time of the betrayal of the Knights Radiant didn't actually die but instead lost their sense of self.  A difference that the other spren still in shadesmar might not see as being one of any meaningful distinction.

If this is the case I wonder what the reaction of the spren hanging out in Shadesmar will be to Syl.

We're pretty sure she was abandoned after the KR defaulted.

What is the evidence for this? I was thinking she just crossed over like the other bonded spren and hasn't yet been able to remember where she came from

I don't remember the exact quote but didn't Syl play a prank on kal before the amaram shard fight where she stuck his money pouch to his belt? That would imply to me she was following and influencing him before he refused the blade. Her aversion to the blade could have even been why he was averse to taking it himself

One thing I have noted is that while Syl seems to have developed to the point that she has started understanding concepts such as sarcasm her long term memory, outside of vague impressions, has remained largely lost.

My view is Wyndle came through with protections and Ivory and Jasnah have been hanging out together for about seven years now.  In contrast, Syl and Kaladin have only been hanging out for maybe a year.

• Chaos locked this topic