The Heralds

WhiskeyJackDaniels

I just recently joined this site, so I apologize if there are already threads covering this.

What do we know/what can we infer about the powers of the Heralds? Honor sent them to lead and prepare the people of Roshar, and they carried blades apparently more powerful than regular shard blades. It doesn't seem like they had a plate equivalent from the WoK prologue, though that's not really definitive.

Surgebinding is a possibility, but Darkness (if he is a Herald in disguise) makes that far from a sure thing. And if they do, would they each get only one surge? The KR orders share from 2 different Heralds orders, so that would seem odd if their own followers had more diverse surgebinding powers than the Heralds themselves.

Obviously they have some form of immortality, but we don't get much info on what thst might grant them.

Thoughts?

If I am not mistaken, each Herald had the powers of one of the orders of KR. The Heralds got their power directly from Honor, while spren bonding with people gave the same sets of powers to them. It is believed that the Heralds each headed up the order with which they shared powers. I am unfortunately at work, on Internet Explorer and unable to find all the relevant quotes. Luckily with this group of people by 5pm or so, I'm sure the wonderful community here will have links and WoB and all manner of proofs for you.

Yeah, we don't know much, but I'm sure we'll get more in WoR. Lots of guesses that the Honorblades provide some of the powers. There isn't much to go on that is concrete other than guesses at which minor characters they might be.

Asha'man Logain has the theory from the book correct, but on top of that there have been many references, even some in the new chapters, that have hinted that what we know of the Heralds may be edited by bias historians aka Hierocracy.

Edited by Bloodfalcon

Welcome!  Please accept an introductory upvote!

I only have speculation on-topic though.  The Heralds may have been chosen on the Tranquilline Halls, which may have been another planet in the same solar system.  Whether or not this is so, they may well all be able to travel using Shadesmar.  

Other powers ... Jezrien is also called the stormfather, so maybe he can do something special relating to the storms.  If he can do something special, then hopefully the others each have a special ability too. 

If Darkness is Nalan, we know that he can infuse from the Lift interlude. 

There must be more, IMO, if ten Heralds could help fight off desolations before the Radiants formed.  

It would be so awesome if the lines on the binding charts were indications of the surges that each Herald had. Don't think that is the case, but it would be really cool if they had powers connected to many of the Orders. Beyond that, I can only think they may just have monumentally powerful versions of the powers normal KR have. I agree though, hoser, it looks like there should be more. Being immortal is kind of a plus though.

Edited by Bloodfalcon

• Chaos locked this topic