Ridiculous theory- Parshendi forms

zandi

Could the Parshendi have been afraid that their gods returning will also bring back a form that they don't want - a form that is corrupted and would be used by Odium? They seem to have lost knowledge of many forms - could this have been intentional? It seems that everything can be corrupted - why not Parshendi forms? This could make them voidbringers...those who get corrupted assume this form intentionally.  Could also explain while in general Parshendi behave honorably - as do spren - but corrupted ones/forms might be responsible for Jasnah's research leading her to the conclusion that they are void bringers. Maybe they are - only some, corrupted ones, not all.

Apologies if discussed elsewhere- my first baseless theory post.

More and more, after reading the bits about Darkness, i find myelf feeling like the KR WERE somehow the voidbringers..

Since Darknes is hunting down surgebinders in an attempt to forestall the next Desolation and such. It wasnt intentional, i dont believe, but the act of surgebinding brought the Desolations... OR was perceived to have since the Desolations stopped after the recreance and suregbinders stopped surgebinding.

Additionally:

"That creature carries my lords own blade" Creature could be either Elhokar or Szeth, i think. But i read "my lords own blade" as "your blade my lord"...

My pennies.

Edited by IllNsickly

In Jasnah's research there is a qoute that says they changed as we fought them. I don't think the voidbringer is a singular form but more likely a class of spren they see as gods. Tentatively titled Parshendi God Spren. It could be that corrupted spren create the same forms but follow odium's commands.

Edited by Arook

In Jasnah's research there is a qoute that says they changed as we fought them.

I think this might refer to the fact that Parshendi used different forms, which were new to humans.

Note that until now we've seen Parshendi using non-binding spren. They might not attract binding spren, or they might (resulting Parshendi surgebinders). While spren do seem like sometimes they have a choice in binding humans, it might be possible they might not have a choice in binding Parshendi. Or the Parshendi might not know what they're binding exactly.

The parshendi also look to have a kind of collective mind - not exactly, but something's there. So it's interesting to see what exactly happens when 1 parshendi gets corrupted - will he be able to influence all of the community through his (evil) song?

Edited by marianmi

To me the Parshendi are the voidbringers, and likely some type of chasmfiend like things. 

We know that greatshells have violet blood. Humans most likely have red. and Parshendi, with their red/orange growths I'm going to venture have Red/orange blood.

In the Prelude, we see Kalak mentions 3 colors of blood. Violet, Red, and Orange.... mmmm.

More and more, after reading the bits about Darkness, i find myelf feeling like the KR WERE somehow the voidbringers..

Since Darknes is hunting down surgebinders in an attempt to forestall the next Desolation and such. It wasnt intentional, i dont believe, but the act of surgebinding brought the Desolations... OR was perceived to have since the Desolations stopped after the recreance and suregbinders stopped surgebinding.

Additionally:

"That creature carries my lords own blade" Creature could be either Elhokar or Szeth, i think. But i read "my lords own blade" as "your blade my lord"...

My pennies.

I think Darkness is wrong and that surgebinding doesn't bring a desolation. I think he feels that because its been so long. However, I think that Surgebinding is just someing that Humans did to stand against Desolations. And the more desolations that came the stronger and better Humans got and the more Humans created Surgebinders. 

However, when the Desolations stopped people started falling apart, the lost direction, they didn't have something to stand against... so surgebinding stopped, and humans digresed. Odium is hoping the continue to do that right up to the point that the Desolation comes. 

In the newest Janash's chapter, she stated that some of the sprens were as clever as humans. If we use Syl for an example, she is really close to a human child, but if there were other sprens with more intellect that rivals or surpass our own, then I can definitely see them as the true enemy.

The Parshendi? Rather than the true villains, they may just be another hapless victim in this war between Honor and Odium. I say this because Brandon Sanderson designated them as the enemy in the first book, and all but confirmed it with Shallan's revelation. Their entire civilization have been labelled as the Voidbringers, but if that were true, Sanderson blew his load way too quick. I smell a rat here.

My crack theory is that they are meat-suits for Odium's sprens. Like robots with a very advance AI. If a virus corrupts their programs and take over completely, then they will be forced to fight even when they don't want to, as if possessed by a ghost. The possessed Parshendi can watch but won't be able to control their actions, their free will be stripped and their bodies used to fight in a way which they don't want happen. The only way to free themselves is death. Doubt anyone would be okay with a fate like that.

That sounds evil enough for someone who calls himself Odium, and also set up a reason why the Parshendi have been mistaken for the enemy when they are Honor's side all along.

My crack theory is that they are meat-suits for Odium's sprens. Like robots with a very advance AI. If a virus corrupts their programs and take over completely, then they will be forced to fight even when they don't want to, as if possessed by a ghost.

Sort of what I was getting at - that their Odium form (if it requires a spren for them to change forms I don't know) is a corrupted  form.

Yes - I agree- they would be victims if they got corrupted. 

But I think the way for it to work is for Some of them to get corrupted - not all of them. And that this is how they got the bad rap of being void bringers  - a few bad apples so to speak (unwilling/corrupted apples).

Their other forms seem to make them behave honorably so far except for the betrayal of Gavilar...but they seemed to think they were doing that for the greater good. I think it is because they don't want their Odium form to come back in to play.

Edited by zandi

If the Parshendi are the Hardware, the spren are the software.

When a spren a "live idea" bond with a parshendi he basically receive a "programation set", that by Eshonai words alter you bodyshape and give your emotional urges, and different mental capacity, but you stay "yourself".

So basically odium probally put a virus in the Parshendi to turn them in voidbringers =)

If this idea is correct the virus will try replicate and corrupt all the hardware a hand, this is in my opinion the great risk that maked the parshendi kill Gavilar=)

Edited by Natans

A computer would be dificult but It is possible to imagine a car with easy.

For example:

Take some pairings fabrial put on a water or windwhell and use the moviment of the wind/water to move a car far away with the pairing gem. In the car you put a gear to conect or disconect the axis of the wheel. If you want stop just disconect the axis of the wheel with the gear, if you want move conectit. And he we have fabrial car =)

Anothers aplication are very easy to imagine like motorized boats, guns, etc.

Indeed my guess is that Liril watch fabrial use pairing fabrial as energy font what could indicate that "steam punk" (without steam) will be very common in the next books.

Yes I very ansious to see what navani wanted to say when she talked about the advance in fabrial science =)

=)

I wonder if we're going to be seeing warriors armed and armoured exclusively with contemporary fabritech. Maybe an actual assassin-type, with those pain knives turned up to the point that a scrape with it kills you with a heart attack.

I really hope this happen. And if by any chance this merry group of fellas could be huh....... let say The bridge 4 tha would be awesome =)

Put some half shields, created a half plate armor.some fabrial spear and Brigde 4 would be a better honor guard. Dalinar said that they sould use the best equipament, if Navani have some secret weapon program going on that would be the perfect moment to use it =) God know tha Szeth will be a hard nail to hammer down. 

Side note. If Bridge 4 survive and kill the Szeth maybe some potential windrunner could adquire a very unique and powerful blade and that would be nice =)

I wonder if we're going to be seeing warriors armed and armoured exclusively with contemporary fabritech. Maybe an actual assassin-type, with those pain knives turned up to the point that a scrape with it kills you with a heart attack.

One thing I've always wondered is why spanreeds - or rather, the gems, aren't used as assassination tools or by basically everyone. Imagine a split ruby in the hilts of two knives. You poison one blade, and hide it under a table before a feast, and take position on some rafters above. Or you can hide the poisoned blade in the rafters with you, whatever. Activate your knife, move the other knife towards your target... stab from afar. You're not even limited by how awkward your position is, because you can just turn off your blade and move it back to a more neutral position (like lifting a mouse and putting it in the middle of a mousepad when you reach the edge - your cursor doesn't move, and now you can keep moving the cursor in the same direction).

It's like having a sniper rifle, but with a medieval flair!

You could also use split rubies like Pushing on coins in Mistborn to 'fly'. Two pairs of rubies on the ground, two pairs of rubies in your boots (or more for stability). You activate one set, lift your other foot, then activate the set on that foot, and turn off the other set allowing you to raise your other foot and repeat. You can walk on air! The rubies apparently are turned/touched to activate, which makes things difficult and potentially quite awkward, but it should be feasible and possible to automate if Roshar ever designs computers.

How about a heating fabrial? Is it possible to 'overclock' it and have it release all of its Stormlight as heat at once? A bomb fabrial!

The possibilities for fabrials are endless. I'm excited to see where they go, and whether they can be used effectively against the Voidbringers.

Edited by Moogle

One thing I've always wondered is why spanreeds - or rather, the gems, aren't used as assassination tools or by basically everyone. Imagine a split ruby in the hilts of two knives. You poison one blade, and hide it under a table before a feast, and take position on some rafters above. Or you can hide the poisoned blade in the rafters with you, whatever. Activate your knife, move the other knife towards your target... stab from afar. You're not even limited by how awkward your position is, because you can just turn off your blade and move it back to a more neutral position (like lifting a mouse and putting it in the middle of a mousepad when you reach the edge - your cursor doesn't move, and now you can keep moving the cursor in the same direction).

It's like having a sniper rifle, but with a medieval flair!

You could also use split rubies like Pushing on coins in Mistborn to 'fly'. Two pairs of rubies on the ground, two pairs of rubies in your boots (or more for stability). You activate one set, lift your other foot, then activate the set on that foot, and turn off the other set allowing you to raise your other foot and repeat. You can walk on air! The rubies apparently are turned/touched to activate, which makes things difficult and potentially quite awkward, but it should be feasible and possible to automate if Roshar ever designs computers.

How about a heating fabrial? Is it possible to 'overclock' it and have it release all of its Stormlight as heat at once? A bomb fabrial!

The possibilities for fabrials are endless. I'm excited to see where they go, and whether they can be used effectively against the Voidbringers.

My impression with the spanreeds was that they could only move very light objects. Now, your idea could work easily with the knife trick, but I think it would be best to use a very sharp needle hidden behind a paper barrier. One application I can definetly see is having an archer firing a light arrow spanreed fabrial, with another guiding it with its pair. That might work a little better.

A needle would work even better than a knife, you're right! If you could make the pairing ruby attached to it really small, anyways. You could even be a guest at the feast, and casually float the needle up to the ceiling during it, move it above your target, let it drop, do one quick poke, and then act surprised with everyone when the person keels over.

It'd have the advantage of being hard to see, so it would be harder to dodge, particularly if you could get the needle to drop behind your target.

... and I'm going overboard planning assassination strategies here. I think this is the sort of thing most people don't do. Oops.

Needle in a chair is good. Can't see how the arrow would work, since the either the archer isn't aiming at the target, or he's aiming at the target and the second arrow is... going where?

Though I could see that working as a way to blindly fire a large mass of arrows into a target-rich environment (like enemy ranks). All you need is one archer who can accurately drop his arrow into the center of the enemy formation, and have a dozen or a hundred arrows beside him that follow more-or-less the same arc. If you can pair multiple gems to a single master-gem, you could effectively force-multiply a rank of archers into an army of them.

The problem with that is that arrows are, by nature, more-or-less disposable in battle, and gems are valuable. If they don't break or get lodged in a body, then you can reuse them, but firing off gem-tricked arrows as a rule would be super expensive.

Needle in a chair is good. Can't see how the arrow would work, since the either the archer isn't aiming at the target, or he's aiming at the target and the second arrow is... going where?

Though I could see that working as a way to blindly fire a large mass of arrows into a target-rich environment (like enemy ranks). All you need is one archer who can accurately drop his arrow into the center of the enemy formation, and have a dozen or a hundred arrows beside him that follow more-or-less the same arc. If you can pair multiple gems to a single master-gem, you could effectively force-multiply a rank of archers into an army of them.

The problem with that is that arrows are, by nature, more-or-less disposable in battle, and gems are valuable. If they don't break or get lodged in a body, then you can reuse them, but firing off gem-tricked arrows as a rule would be super expensive.

Also, I thought that you had to lift the weight of both objects when using a conjoiner: so that one archer would need the strength to pull back a hundred bows.

Edited by Kurkistan

Also, I thought that you had to lift the weight of both objects when using a conjoiner: so that one archer would need the strength to pull back a hundred bows.

A Shardbow pulled by a Shardbearer could do it, but he would have do give the main arrow-shaft enough momentum to launch a hundred arrows with enough speed to pierce the target upon impact. I think it might be more effective just to let the Shardbearer loose upon the enemy directly.

Or have a master archer and a bunch of novices - you could get have the master archer's arrow straightening the course of all the the other ones and increasing accuracy. very expensive, but whatever.

• Chaos locked this topic