Theory : Santhid is Voidbinding Focus Animal

The Rooster

I've read recently that the orders in the KR table were stylized to represent swords (WoB), this lead others to theorize the orders on the Voidbinding Stained glass to represent animals.  Well if that's the case and the Santhid was significant enough to be one of the Shallan sketches for WoR why wouldn't one of the orders be a stylized Santhid?  Here's my guess.  The rounded seeming shell at the top,  the flowing bottom and an "eye in the center top seems to line up pretty good.  If anyone thinks it could be anything else or maybe that any other Voidbinding orders represent any other unique Rosharian Fauna let's hear it. I haven't included an actual Santhid pic for obvious reason but also notice the super cool design in the Iris.

post-6790-0-24619900-1383665675_thumb.jp

Edited by agrooster

• 4 weeks later...

I can see what you are talking about. I thought it was a bird, with tail feathers on the bottom and stylized wings folded up to the sides. Unfortunately, this is order 9 and I'm dubious about air or water creatures representing the essence of stone.

First of all, the idea that the "void-binding" chart represents animals isn't new. Secondly, if it is a chart representing animals, it does not necessarily follow the exact same pattern in terms of Order association as the Herald- and Surgebinding-chart.

I'm assuming the color of stormlight is what determines the magical properties and associations. Since the colors are consistent between the two charts it is likely order 9 relates to earth in both charts, but there is no conclusive proof of this.

There is the fact that we have WoB that, depending on how you count it, there are either 10 or 30 types of "magic" on Roshar. The implication is that there are 10 "orders" made up of the same two surges, but you can access "orders" in three ways, presumably one way from Honor, one from Odium, and one from Cultivation. Thus, there'd be the Windrunners who access Pressure and Gravity via Honor, another group who accesses the same two powers via Cultivation, and a third who does so via Odium.

This is obviously largely speculative, and far from proven. Still, it lends credence to the base theory that the Voidchart does have something to do with what we know of the Surgechart. (Though, what do we know of the Surges that Stonewards can access? are they especially stony? There's nothing terribly "windy" about any of the three Lashings we know Kaladin can use. Yes, he's got Atmospheric Pressure which is a rather windy surge, but has he ever used it in a way that has anything to do with wind?

I'm just glad people are talking about this.   I thought it was destined for the hell where unreplied Forum topics go.  As far as it representing stone it does have an above water carapace (tho almost every animal on Roshar has a carapace, so stone could be quite an ambiguous description).   Does anyone have any ideas of what animals the other could represent? 

post-6790-0-22191100-1386086482_thumb.jp Axehound?

post-6790-0-54142400-1386086493_thumb.jp Larkin ?

post-6790-0-61758000-1386086499_thumb.jp Chasmfiend?

Edit: Aether I don't think that the symbols representing animals is my unique discovery.  I mentioned above that others had figured this out.  I just named the theory "Voidbinding Focus Animal" because the Santhid drawing is exclusive to the Steelhunt.  After WoR comes out I'll probably update the name to include "Santhid".

Edited by AG Rooster

I posted a while back with my theory on this. Some of them look a bit like animals, but they remind me much more of spren descriptions. you could probably make out a few for yourself without any help, but the couple that are convincing are the green one with vine looking tentacle things at spot 5 (looks like Wyndle) and the white one that looks like light with rays being emitted (looks like.. uhh... the learther worker guy's spren.... i forget).

Here is the topic. I get way carried away quickly, but I think some of the correlations are cool if you haven't seen them yet. 
http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/4463-theory-on-voidbinding-chart/#entry71064

Could be animals though. I wouldn't be surprised. It just seems like we've seen much more spren interaction on a personal level, and almost none with animals. If it is animals, there is some connection we have seen almost none of - that or the chart is for animals specifically, and just kind of cool rather than crazy important (doubt it).

Interesting... but Wyndle is the spren of Edgedancers, and thus would be where the glowy-white one is, yes? And The glowy-white one then would be where you see Wyndle? Unless Friction is meant to be swapped with illumination, which would then not really explain why Shallan's order is called Lightweavers.

Interesting... but Wyndle is the spren of Edgedancers, and thus would be where the glowy-white one is, yes? And The glowy-white one then would be where you see Wyndle? Unless Friction is meant to be swapped with illumination, which would then not really explain why Shallan's order is called Lightweavers.

You'll notice that the surges are flipped on different axis in all of their representations on the other chart. I'm under the impression there is some sort of order flipping or something like that to account for it. In addition, I haven't expressed this anywhere yet, and it doesn't count as evidence, but I don't think we have that chart as figured out as we think. Nobody understands what those connection lines represent and I think the answer to that will play into the order of spren on that chart. It is convenient enough that those two are swapped next to each other that I don't consider it a matter of coincidence, if you know what i'm saying. 

EDIT: I made a point in that other thread that the maps of the physical realm and Shadesmar seem to follow the same art styles, and it is easily noticeable that they are land/sea inverses. Then you have the surges being inverses.... I think that order of Orders (lol) should be considered extremely flexible with those pieces considered. 

EDIT 2: I don't mean to jack your thread, I was just raising a point because they do look like little animal shapes, but I think spren often look like little animals in the same sort of zoomed-out, foggy-lens way. 

Edited by Bloodfalcon

EDIT 2: I don't mean to jack your thread, I was just raising a point because they do look like little animal shapes, but I think spren often look like little animals in the same sort of zoomed-out, foggy-lens way. 

It's all good.  This whole thread started because I had a nice digital version of the chart and needed a reason to obsess over it.  I have a better idea in my head of what Rosharan animals look like than the Spren.  It's fun to try to see order in the seeming randomness of the symbols.

It's all good.  This whole thread started because I had a nice digital version of the chart and needed a reason to obsess over it.  I have a better idea in my head of what Rosharan animals look like than the Spren.  It's fun to try to see order in the seeming randomness of the symbols.

I googled "spren descriptions" once and got a nice tor.com article that listed "all" of them. There's not any crazy amount of detail, but we  know they come in different shapes and colors. We also know that Syl is an Honorspren though she looks like a Windspren. That means Bondable spren can look like any other, and some of those descriptions might fit other symbols on that chart. Some won't obviously, but the fact that Wyndle and light-spren-guy fit so well IMO leaves me thinking that is the case.

I like obsessing over it too. I don't care that much about many of the mystery topics on here, but the ones I want desperately to solve are the ones that I know are all laid out in front of me, just waiting. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know ... I'm grasping for straws that this illustration has some meaning beyond just being cool.  Do the other Shallan sketches have her signature on them?

You'll find the other illustrations in the links provided hereunder, but no, I haven't been able to find any of signature in any of them:

• Chaos locked this topic