The negative effects of being a savant on an Allomancer's body

kroen

So we know that being a Tin savant causes the Allomancer to feel numb while not burning Tin. We can also safely say that being a Pewter savant will cause the Allomancer to feel weak and tired while not burning Pewter. And maybe being a Gold savant will cause you to have a dissociative identity disorder while not burning Gold. But what about the rest? I haven't the slightest.

Edited by kroen

This. This is excellent.

Perhaps Brass/Zinc savants lose the ability to interact socially without the use of the metal to influence people? Best I can think of right now :S

Social anxiety actually sounds pretty solid.

But some of the other metals just don't make sense to me that they could have a negative effect on the body. Like Copper or Bronze... what could possibly go wrong? Let alone Steel/Iron and pretty much all the rest.

Edited by kroen

Most savants don't have any issues at all, and some (like copper) don't even notice it.

But an Allomancer can only become a savant by constantly flaring his metal, no? And there isn't much point to flaring copper, is there? Unless to intentionally become a savant. Either way, seems kind of unfair that some metals induce negative effects when constantly flared, while others don't. Is it confirmed though? 

Edited by kroen

Here's a bit of info for you guys.

They are called Allomantic savants. Men or women who flare their metals so long, and so hard, that the constant influx of Allomantic power transforms their very physiology.

In most cases, with most metals, the effects of this are very slight. Bronze burners, for instance, often become bronze savants without knowing it. Their range is expanded from burning the metal so long. Becoming a pewter savant is dangerous, as it requires pushing the body so hard in a state where one cannot feel exhaustion or pain. Most accidentally kill themselves before the process is complete, and in my opinion, the benefit isn't worth the effort.

Tin savants, however . . . now, they are something special. Endowed with senses beyond what any normal Allomancer would need—or even want—they become slaves to what they touch, hear, see, smell, and taste. Yet, the abnormal power of these senses gives them a distinct, and interesting, advantage.

One could argue that, like an Inquisitor who has been transformed by a Hemalurgic spike, the Allomantic savant is no longer even human.

• Chaos locked this topic