Urithiru is in the Purelake

Isomere

The Tanavallah is a graphical representation that Honor and Cultivation combined to form a single Shard with two Intellects. The theories here are only based on the symbols in this image, and there are a LOT of different interpretations. I don't have any substantial evidence, but here's what I see.

The Table of Harmonics shows two Winged Greatshells that interact with each other to create a much larger Greatshell head in the negative space between them. This represents the Spiritual union of the two shards. The two heads of the smaller Greatshells come together and where they meet is the glyph Ishi. This also creates a "third eye" on the larger spirit face. All of these are symbols of vision and intellect. If you see the greatshells as representations of the map of Roshar then Ishi corresponds to the Purelake.  This would be the logical place for both Shardpools to form since they represent the condensed cognitive aspect.

We know Urithiru was built West of Alethela and at the place nearest to Honor (Chapter 35 heading), and that it was inaccessible by foot (Chapter 34 Heading). This would all be satisfied if the city were built in the middle of the Purelake on top of the Holy Grotto where the Shardpool was located. 

Edited by Isomere

Despite you linking to that post, I feel it is common courtesy that in a new theory topic to fully make your argument in the new topic you are making, even if it just copying and pasting the argument you made elsewhere. It just makes reading this topic alone much easier, say, months down the line.

EDIT: Thanks for doing that, Isomere!

Edited by Chaos

Building it on land in Shadesmar would indeed fit, thought it would be remarkably hard to get to.

Well who know what Oathgates/Radiants could do? 

Also, if the Shard-Holders "live" in the Spiritual Realm, then Shadesmar, presumably, would be the place closest to Honor that humans could physically travel to.  

If humans could visit the Spiritual Relam, it would probably have a name.

Edited by Yados

I've had that idea of Urithiru being (or that it had been) in the Pure Lake before. Then it must be a sunken city now as for Nohadon walked to Urithiru and reached it. Or -- a far stretching idea -- it was moved from Roshar into Shadesmar after Nohadon's journey. But such thoughts are far to abstract for myself. :)

I've had that idea of Urithiru being (or that it had been) in the Pure Lake before. Then it must be a sunken city now as for Nohadon walked to Urithiru and reached it. Or -- a far stretching idea -- it was moved from Roshar into Shadesmar after Nohadon's journey. But such thoughts are far to abstract for myself. :)

Or could Nohadon travel to Shadesmar?

Or could Nohadon travel to Shadesmar?

The way it's described, to me he travelled in a very mundane manner. It also seems like his family was there for some time before he was, and travelled in a way that was probably more magical.

• Chaos locked this topic