Heralds, Gavillar, and other TWoK Theories

Oathbringer

Having read through TWoK several times I can describe the information on the Heralds as sketchy at best. Out of the 10 I believe only half are named directly and the name of the name varies on the teller. For example in the prologue the heralds are Kalak and Jezrien whereas in the prologue they are called Kelek and Jezerezeh. This is obviously due to the gap in time or change of language. However, if one looks at the ARS Arcanum one notes there are ten essences each with a name /number which seems to correlate to the name or names of a herald. Using this theory, the 9th essence Tanat would depict Talenel or Talenelat (again different names, same herald). So where is this all headed?

Shalash. What? As Szeth is passing one of the corridors he notes a row of statutes depictig the heralds of Vorin theology. However, Szeth notes that one of the heralds is missing. Why would this be inserted? If it was just to introduce culture or religion, why would one be missing? Furthermore why explain that Szeth thinks it odd since Gavillar is a devout Vorin constituent? Question: Why is Shalash's statue missing?

I have entertained ideas that he could have been the Herald to suggest breaking the Oathpact but am uncertain. However, before Gavillar died he was big on the Way of Kings and this could have been the reason that Gavillar removed the statue. I believe something in the book caused him to remove the statue as there would be no other alternative I can see for removing Shalash's statue. Why is this important?

Dalinar is following Gavillar's footsteps by reading the WoK. So one could assume that he will come to the same conclusion of his brother. This could prove to be even more significant if the Oath pact is reestablished which seems somewhat likely seeing Dalinar leading like Jezrien or Kaladin protecting like Jezrien and healing like Vav or Shallan/Jasnah being learned like Nan even Szeth correlates to Chach who is brave and obedient.

This brings up the additional discussion of whether or not there were female Heralds. I would say yes since on the opening inside cover you see ten faces surrounding the border of Roshar and the Hourglass of Vorin Theology and some are definitely feminine.

Does any of this indicate that Shalash was acting under Odium's influence to break up the Oathpact?

??

That is pure speculation, but again why would Gavillar exclude Shalash one of his "gods."

Additionally, along the lines of heralds the hourglass depicts 10 major symbols which I believe correlate to an essence, a herald, and a Dawnblade. If you look at the front cover of the hard bound book one notes a blade. The hilt of this blade corresponds to one of the major symbols on the inside of the front cover which leads me to the conclusion that the major symbols are Dawnblades and the minor ones correspond to different types of Shardblades and plates respectively.

Also, I find it odd that the back cover of the book says there are 4 for whom we watch when this world seems to based off of tens. Is it possible that these four will join into the Oathpact to bring the number to 5 which also appears in the book.

Indirectly related to the Heralds is Gavillar's final words to Dalinar through Szeth "you must find the most important words a man can say." This could be interpreted as a reference to the WoK, the creed of the Knights Radiant, the next book WoR, or a combination. I believe it refers to all of three, specifically in context of the next book. 

Dalinar-- where does his supernatural use of shards come from? ex. fighting the chasmfiend. The only conclusion I can come to is the Old Magic which will if true certainly come to fruition in the next book. And as a side point why would Dalinar visit the Old Magic later in life since it occurred after the death of his wife. Who knows? It is all speculation from here.

Hope this post has been interesting or helpful. My ,main points are with the Heralds and correlating them to characters and essences as well as the lack of Shalash.

Not to put you down at all, as this is obviously something you've considered in some detail (and I'm loathe to discard anything until we have definitive proof otherwise) but:

The heralds and essences have been well discussed and documented. Someone better at forum-fu than I (and not typing one-handed with a baby in their lap) could probably direct you to the relevant threads. In the meantime, have you seen http://coppermind.net/wiki/Herald'>the Coppermind?

As for Shallash's absence, you may remember in one of the Interludes, a woman going around smashing statues and destroying paintings that depict Shallash - this is believed by many theorists to be Shallash herself, although the why of her actions is a matter of much debate.

The symbols on the inside cover, we actually have Word of Brandon that the large symbols represent the ten Orders of Knights Radiant, whilst each smaller symbol represents one of the powers that Surgebinding can influence (such as Gravity, or Transformation). Each Order of KR had access to two 'Surges', and each Surge is shared by two Orders (as the connecting lines on the diagram show).

As for the Glyph-swords, these do indeed correspond to the symbols of the KR, this has also been confirmed. The symbol on the hardcover (under the dustjacket) corresponds to the symbol of the Windrunners, whose powers Kaladin (and for some unknown reason Szeth) currently has access to.

Sorry if this comes across as a shooting down; it's just that this is fairly old ground for longer-serving members (I don't even count myself amongst that group; I learned most of this from this forum and the Coppermind too).

Dalinar-- where does his supernatural use of shards come from? ex. fighting the chasmfiend. The only conclusion I can come to is the Old Magic which will if true certainly come to fruition in the next book. And as a side point why would Dalinar visit the Old Magic later in life since it occurred after the death of his wife. Who knows? It is all speculation from here.

If you dredge through some of the ancient threads, you'll find that some people think that he is extraordinary partly due to having started the same process of connecting with a spren that Kaladin is further along on.  He doesn't know the spren yet :wacko:, and the bond is not as developed, but some people (me, at least) are fairly certain that he will become a Knight Radiant. 

• Chaos locked this topic