Voidbringers, Parshendi and 'Unite them'

jturner

uh...spoilers. Not sure how to work the tags yet, first time...sorry.

We are lead to believe that the Parsh/endi/men are voidbringers in WoK. We now have a parshendi POV and we know that they don't want 'their gods' to return. Interesting.

We also know that they go out in a highstorm and bond with a spren to achieve a new form, and that those forms have names.

Cool. Okay, so I am thinking that the Parshendi are very similar in some ways to Kandra/Koloss/. They have their own will, but can be anywhere form influenced to completely dominated by a Shard in some way (inserted metal). 

So the Voidbringer is an assertion of control by Odium at the right time, much like ruin with the Kandra/Koloss.

I don't mention inquisitors because humans don't need ruin to maintain, where Koloss and Kandra absolutely do. Remove ruin, they lose sentience/life (not sure how half Koloss work..yuck).

While Humans CAN bond with a spren, Parshmen must bond with a spren. Hm...so their slave form kind of reminds me of the broken shaod also. They are always awaiting a command...Odium :) The only thing that breaks that zombie like state is strong emotion (moving their dead...(Marsh being controlled by ruin).

So I think who needs to be united (Dalinar's mandate) are....Parsh and humans (or all races, I guess..still not sure who is 'human').

Find a way to break the parshmen from their zombiness to fight against odium; my feeling is this has to do with the type of spren they are bonded to. 

Finally...rocks? Rocks are going to be important. Maybe the parshendi were parsh who were not in contact with Rocks and therefore able to resist a forced transformation to zombie mode...but that's getting out there, I know.

thanks for any input. I can't wait for Book 2!!

We also know that they go out in a highstorm and bond with a spren to achieve a new form, and that those forms have names.

Is this in the readings? I don't remember it, if you could quote a transcription I'd be thankful.

I also think that the "unite them" means everyone, not the Alethi, but remember this is (at least) a 10 books series, divided in 2 series of 5, so BS is doing a slow build and is hinting things very slightly. Problem is, the darker he goes, the sharper we get, we are digging too much maybe in so few words.

In short, we have too few information on it, unite... the Alethi? all sentient beings on Roshar? all the humans in the cosmere? :S

here's a link. It's not transcripted, but you can listen.

http://goo.gl/gdgVY

Also, and the reason I posted this in the 'cosmere' section is seeing the relationship between beings and the Shards that created them...well, actually, I suppose that a sliver created Koloss and Kandra. Weird, because they are of ruin, but created by TLR using preservation. But clearly they are 'of ruin', even though they oppose him.  Could the Parsh be 'of Odium' but also oppose him?

Edited by jturner

The mistwraiths info we got from this this makes an interesting parallel to the parshmen.

Is it possible that they originally didn't need spren at all?

How intelligent is a mistwraith? Could you raise and train mistwraiths like dogs or horses, controlling what forms they take by the bones you give them? Would you be able to train yourself a horsewraith steed by giving it only the bones of a horse?

This is feasible. One thing to keep in mind is that mistwraiths are people who have a blockage between the physical and the cognitive realm, messing with their ability to think. Think of them as mentally-stunted people. There's enough there to train, but then you have to dig into the ethics of it...

@PM...that's what I'm talking about! The parshmen have some sort of blockage. I am still new, and this info is very new (I just read it in the last few days) but someone asked brandon if the parshmen were forced into the state they are in (their non-form stormform), and he said that it is not one that a parsh would choose....Much like the mistwraiths. 

***I think this was a verbal question after the reading from the Parshendi Shardbearers POV in that same interview I linked earlier**

Edited by jturner

• Chaos locked this topic