Duralumin: Immune to nicrosil?

Oudeis

Duralumin doesn't burn itself out the way it burns out other metals. Do you think that if a Misting burning nicrosil touched a Misting burning duralumin, the nicrosil would burn away the duralumin? Or would duralumin's resistance to being burst...ed(?) extend to protection from the nicrosil?

EDIT: Grammar

Edited by Darnam

There's little point to a Duralumin Misting. The only possible way to even discover if you are one is if you get an Invested Hemalurgic spike of another metal and burn it and Duralumin together.

It's possible you wouldn't lose Duralumin, but Duralumin on its own is pointless.

I wouldn't say that duralumin on it's own is pointless just yet; after all, aluminium on it's own isn't entirely pointless. Aluminium Gnats can get really good at cleansing their bodies of unwanted Investiture, after all, and if Aluminium Gnats can do that, then it only makes sense that duralumin has a similar, if opposed effect when burned a lot.

Duralumin doesn't burn itself out the way it burns out other metals. Do you think that if a Misting burning nicrosil touched a Misting burning duralumin, the nicrosil would burn away the duralumin? Or would duralumin's resistance to being burst...ed(?) extend to protection from the nicrosil?

EDIT: Grammar

I'm pretty sure Brandon said that it did in fact burn itself away, but either way the nicrosil would target it (we assume the duralumin doesn't target itself for explosive power) and make it go boom.

The only way to definitively tell you're a gnat is if you look for swirly mists :P

Actually, simply swallowing a metal after snapping will allow you to tap it, so you don't have to be spiked to discover you are a gnat - allomancers feel the metal inside them, and can estimate the amount of reserve.

Duralumin doesn't burn out - it is in the book, said so in plain text by Vin as she burned it.

But I think it won't be immune to Nicrosil. An interesting question would be what would happen if you arrange, say, 10 Nicrosil mistings in a ring touching each other, and all of them start burning at the same time - or in a line touching allomancer of another kind. Will it stack?

An interesting question would be what would happen if you arrange, say, 10 Nicrosil mistings in a ring touching each other, and all of them start burning at the same time - or in a line touching allomancer of another kind. Will it stack?

Fascinating... can nicrosil be enhanced? It's effect is "targets currently-burning metals are all consumed in a flash". What would enhanced nicrosil do? The nicrosil doesn't add any power to the burning metal, it only allows you to use all of your metal in an instant. So it's not like it would make the metal burn any better, and it's implied that it already burns just about as fast as possible; I'm not sure it's feasible to say that enhanced nicrosil would make someone burning, say, pewter do it any faster than normal nicrosil.

Perhaps enhanced nicrosil makes the target burn ALL metal reserves, whether you're currently burning them or not? The way that enhanced Steel lets you Push on metals inside someone's body; not merely "more powerful" but breaking a fundamental restriction.

This is quite interesting; presumably a Mistborn burning duralumin and nicrosil would have the same effect?

I'd say that Nicrosi. enhanced Nicrosil would probably increase the range or something, not the end rate of metal consumption, maybe a Nicrosil bubble instead of having to touch someone, could be incredibly useful if the same applied to chromium.

A chain of compoundingly explosive power hitting a tineye would probably burst the poor sucker's eardrums :P

I imagine nicrosil would be able to stack and therefore have a more intense effect. It makes sense. The real question is whether or not extending the line means anything

And as for the gnat thing, maybe you don't recognise the metal reserves for what they are. Maybe you think everyone can make themselves feel warmish at will. It's not like you'd actively eat aluminum beforehand, so the only way you'd know is by seeing the mists swirly in your brief moment of warmth

/completelyworthlessandofftopicrant

/me imagines conga-lining nicrobursts *

I imagine nicrosil would be able to stack and therefore have a more intense effect. It makes sense.

No. It does not make sense.

Nicrosil doesn't add any power to what you burn, it just makes your target burn all of it faster than that person could otherwise do. If the target only had fumes of tin left, it would be a weak burst, and there's nothing the nicrosil could do about that.

Nicrosil doesn't add any power to what you burn, it just makes your target burn all of it faster than that person could otherwise do. If the target only had fumes of tin left, it would be a weak burst, and there's nothing the nicrosil could do about that.

Well it would increase the rate of consumption even more, Duralumin doesn't burn it in an instant it burns it over just a second or two, so there's still room for improvement if it burned 10x stronger in 1/10th of a second or 100x stronger in 1/100th then a mistborn could clear out an entire army with a steelpush.

• Chaos locked this topic