Theory: The nature of Voidbringes and the Desolations

Lightflame

This theory messes with the mechanics of Stormlight, but that's okay because we don't understand it yet.

In the prologue, Szeth mentions that the human body isn't a good container for Stormlight, as it continually leaks it. But the gems used to hold Stormlight are the same. They leak Stormlight, giving off light until they go dun. Sure it takes a while, but they eventually get used up. Only Voidbringers can hold Stormlight perfectly. However, I somehow came up with a new container for Stormlight. I believe that rocks somehow absorb Stormlight, but don't leak it. Instead, they sit around, loaded with Stormlight, but nobody can access its power. Since the entire world is essentially made of stone, everything is filled with Stormlight.

That's where the Voidbringers come in. At the beginning of each Desolation, the Voidbringers show up and unleash the Stormlight within the stone, then disappearing when they've got all the Stormlight out. The goal of the Heralds and Radiants was to kill as many Voidbringers as possible before they could cause Stormlight chaos. Or maybe rocks hold Voidlight. I'm not sure.

In that case, the Voidbringers show up and unleash Voidlight, causing all sorts of voidish creatures to manifest. Then they leave, while the Heralds and Radiants try to prevent them from escaping. Their goal is to wipe out all Voidbringers so that another Desolation won't happen. However, you can't kill a Voidbringer, so you need to "Bind" it instead, using the Dawnshards. The Heralds have to go back to their hell place so that the Voidbringers will stay bound. Taln alone wasn't enough to hold back the Voidbringers, so now every single Voidbringer is going to be showing up instead of just the ones that got away.

The prelude doesn't mention Voidbringer bodies, and "telling them that we won" could mean telling the people that they bound all the Voidbringers. Hey, by the time another Desolation came, nobody would be able to find them.

Notice how this theory amounted to pointless meandering. Ah well. I feel like there's some hidden meaning behind claims that Voidbringers come out when Highstorms happen.

This theroy calls to mind the question: Can a Windrunner suck in stormlight leaking from a person? If the only reason they can draw it in is because it leaks, gratz, you're at least partially right. Unfortunately, I don't think that's it. I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume rocks hold stormlight, considering a number of things. Most important of them all is the reason you can't soulcast gems. If you could, you'd have limitless power, creating infinite wells of it by turning air to gems. Likewise, if this were true, you'd just soulcast a whole bunch of rocks, and somebody who can get it out would do so, gaining limitless power. Sorry, but I simply don't agree.

Stones holding Stormlight is an interesting idea. I like it more than Stonespren.

This theroy calls to mind the question: Can a Windrunner suck in stormlight leaking from a person? If the only reason they can draw it in is because it leaks, gratz, you're at least partially right. Unfortunately, I don't think that's it. I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume rocks hold stormlight, considering a number of things. Most important of them all is the reason you can't soulcast gems. If you could, you'd have limitless power, creating infinite wells of it by turning air to gems. Likewise, if this were true, you'd just soulcast a whole bunch of rocks, and somebody who can get it out would do so, gaining limitless power. Sorry, but I simply don't agree.

But Soulcasted stones wouldn't be infused. That just would make pool bigger while amount of Stormlight in it would stay same.

Is it said that Soulcasting Gems is impossible? Or its just useless because Soulcasted Gems are exact same Gems used to Soulcast them?

Stones holding Stormlight is an interesting idea. I like it more than Stonespren.

But Soulcasted stones wouldn't be infused. That just would make pool bigger while amount of Stormlight in it would stay same.

Is it said that Soulcasting Gems is impossible? Or its just useless because Soulcasted Gems are exact same Gems used to Soulcast them?

Shallan specifically states that gems cannot be soulcast, otherwise they'd have created those, not valuable stones. And as long as the gemstone you use doesn't crack, you'd have effectively doubled your stormlight capacity.

Yeah I don't think that it's likely that Brandon would remove the only limitation of surgebinders, if they didn't have to worry about conserving stormlight then they would be hugely destructive, they could soulcast the whole planet into flames.

Yeah I don't think that it's likely that Brandon would remove the only limitation of surgebinders, if they didn't have to worry about conserving stormlight then they would be hugely destructive, they could soulcast the whole planet into flames.

I love it! Alright Odium, call in your army of soulcasters! Let's get this done!

The planets seem to predate even the Shards, I wonder how readily they'd give up their form...

I love it! Alright Odium, call in your army of soulcasters! Let's get this done!

The planets seem to predate even the Shards, I wonder how readily they'd give up their form...

Yes the planets were there before the shards, Brandon confirmed that they were named pre-shattering I think. I doubt they'd actually be able to soulcast the whole planet but I was talking more about the scope of it, a soulcaster could turn a whole army into statues, a windrunner could create a black hole with a reverse lashing or throw buildings around with multiple lashings.

The question I have then is why the rocks don't glow. If stone absorbs stormlight, which I can kind of get behind, why doesn't it glow like Surgebinders and gems do? Unless you're saying the actual glow is the visual sign of a leak, which I guess the narrative supports. On the fence with this one, honestly.

However, this theory does give us some idea why the Shin don't want to walk on stone. If it's holding massive amounts of stormlight, and they revere it, which I gather from Szeth's viewpoints that they do, it would make all stone holy, simply because of what is inside it.

The question I have then is why the rocks don't glow. If stone absorbs stormlight, which I can kind of get behind, why doesn't it glow like Surgebinders and gems do? Unless you're saying the actual glow is the visual sign of a leak, which I guess the narrative supports. On the fence with this one, honestly.

Yes, he's saying that its because it doesn't leak, which I'm not sure I'm willing to support fully.

However, this theory does give us some idea why the Shin don't want to walk on stone. If it's holding massive amounts of stormlight, and they revere it, which I gather from Szeth's viewpoints that they do, it would make all stone holy, simply because of what is inside it.

I always thought it wasm ore connected to the Parshmen and Honor, but that works too.

How?

Start with one gemstone. Empty it to create a second. Now you have two empty gemstones. Leave them out in a storm. Use the two to create two more, now you have four empty gems. Leave out in storm. Rinse and repeat. So long as none of them crack, you're set.

Easy for you to say, I'm in two pieces on a field covered in ash in the middle of nowhere!

Aw, don't be a baby. I know friends who've been vaporized entirely!

And you don't have to wonder every day of your life why you had to start thinking with portals...

Edited by Observer

I personally think that the quote refers to the Thunderclasts or whatever they are; I believe they were described as rock-like creatures, like a greatshell, just worse. I don't have a quote right now, but if anyone really wants one, I could probably find it.

I personally think that the quote refers to the Thunderclasts or whatever they are; I believe they were described as rock-like creatures, like a greatshell, just worse. I don't have a quote right now, but if anyone really wants one, I could probably find it.

Correct. They tore themselves out of the ground and fought, which harks back to this theory.

Yeah. Roshar history is much too fragmented for any serious guessing with it. Jasnah herself also said that they started to speak of them in metaphor, which means that some things may be completely different then how they were interpreted by us. Our only evidence points to the Parshmen/pashendi, but we really only have evidence from what Jasnah has shown us and the chapter heading things. Hopefully book 2 will shed more light on this subject.

Almost undoubtledly, seeing as the title hints at Shallan as a major characters, and the fact that she's heading over to the Shattered Plains. Of course, it also puts them right in Szeth's way. Storms help the poor sucker if he winds up fighting a Surgebinder and two Soulcasters all at once.