Metallic Arts: Quadrants

Odium's_Shard

So, I looked around for a bit, and I couldn't see a thread where people argued about exactly where all of the powers fall in regards to Temporal, Physical, Mental and Enhancement, if indeed these parallels even exist between Allomancy, Feruchemy and Hemalurgy. So I decided to change that. Her's my list, please propose your own revisions, and also help me decide which goes where! Thanks in advance. Obviously, Allomancy is already decided, but I'll list it anyway.

Allomancy:

Physical

Tin: Int. Increase senses (O)

Pewter: Int. Strength, increased bodily function, speed (A)

Iron: Ext. Pulls metals (O)

Steel: Ext. Pushes metals (A)

Mental

Copper: Int. Creates an area from which no Allomantic pulses escape (O)

Bronze: Int. Allows user to hear Allomantic pulses (A)

Zinc: Ext. Pulls (raises) emotions (O)

Brass: Ext. Pushes (soothes) emotions (A)

Temporal

Gold: Int. Allows the user to see a past version of themselves (O)

Electrum: Int. Allows the user to see a few of their possible features (A)

Cadmium: Ext. Creates a bubbles of stretched out time around the user (O)

Bendalloy: Ext. Creates a bubbles of compacted time around the user (A)

Enhancement

Aluminium: Int. Destroys all of the users metals (O)

Duralumin: Int. Gives an intense burst of power from currently burning metals before they are all destroyed (A)

Chromium: Ext. Destroys another users metals (O)

Nicrosil: Ext. Gives the intense destructive burst to another's burning metals (A)

Feruchemy

Physical

Iron: stores weight (O)

Steel: stores speed (A)

Brass: stores warmth/heat (A)

Pewter: stores strength (A)

Mental/Cognitive

Electrum: stores determination (A)

Zinc: stores mental speed (O)

Copper: stores memories (O)

Bronze: stores wakefulness (A)

Here's where it begins to break down. See, normally I'd be tempted to organise the following powers with 'Enhancement' and 'Temporal', which is how the segments are described on the Coppermind. But they don't mention what powers are associated with 'temporal Feruchemy', the only one I can see is Atium. Which isn't a metal that I'm going to include in the main table. So the remaining metals seem to deal with Body Functions, such as breath, calories, health, except electrum, which says determination. A body 'state', or a mental 'state'? Help me decide. So one section will be called Body. The next can only be described by me as 'Spiritual'. Conveniently, these quadrants take into account: the Three Realms, Physical, Cognitive and Spiritual, and the 'self', the Body. These four things seem to make up every object in the Cosmere. Please argue this out.

Body

Gold: stores health (O)

Tin: stores senses (O)

Cadmium: stores breath (O)

Bendalloy: stores calories/fluid (A)

Spiritual

Aluminium: stores identity (O)

Duralumin: stores connection (A)

Chromium: stores luck (O)

Nicrosil: stores Investiture(?) (A)

KEY:

(O): original metals

(A): alloyed metals

Int.: interior pair

Ext.: exterior pair

So that's the list so far. Some interesting notes: in Feruchemy, the 'higher metals' seems to retain their original alloying pairs, whereas the Mental and Physical seem to have opposing combinations of alloys and bases, with Physical having one base and three alloys, and Mental having one alloy and three bases. Also, Electrum doesn't seem to fit. Lastly, to me, warmth/heat is a Physical thing, but it could easily be converted to Mental, and tin be made a Physical thing. If this is done, then these quadrants to reform their alloy pairs.

Thanks in advance for answers and help, especially with the non-existent Hemalurgy section.

EDIT LOG:

• Tin and Electrum swap places, Tin now Feruchemical Body and Electrum now Feruchemical Mental. Flows better.
  • Crossed out notes that are now irrelevant after changes. May add more relevant notes later. Getting late right now.

Edited by Odium's_Shard

Here, let me help you with that. We've actually got a quote about the Feruchemical quadrants:

ZAS678

These are things that I overhead.Are the usual quadrants (Physical, Mental, Temporal, Enhancement) preserved in Feruchemy and Hemalurgy?

BRANDON SANDERSON.

No. In Feruchemy, it is based Realmatically. There is a quadrant of Spiritual, a quadrant of Cognitive and two quadrants of Physical.

Source

Thanks for the confirmation there. I thought it didn't quite fit. I'll separate the Physical quadrants this way: Internal and External. Physically affects the world around you, Physically affect yourself. Still works as Physical and Body. But Electrum does trouble me. Need someone else's opinion on that.

The AoL release probably also means that the RPG's notes about hemalurgy are bunk: if there is no temporal feruchemy, one can't very well steal it.

Anywho, for Feruchemy, I'd argue:

Physical

Iron: stores weight (O)

Steel: stores speed (A)

Brass: stores warmth/heat (A)

Gold: stores health (O)

Pewter: stores strength (A)

Tin: stores senses (O)

Bendalloy: stores calories/fluid (A)

Cadmium: stores breath (O)

Cognative

Zinc: stores mental speed (O)

Bronze: stores wakefulness (A)

Copper: stores memories (O)

Electrum (?): stores determination (A)

Spiritual

Aluminium: stores identity (O)

Duralumin: stores connection (A)

Chromium: stores luck (O)

Nicrosil: stores Investiture (A)

Though I am not very happy that metal pairs are occasionally split between the realms.

Yes! This I really agree with.

I will keep a log of changes to the main post at the bottom of the OP as well as in the posts of which they are announced:

Electrum has become a Mental Feruchemical metal.

Tin has replaced it in the Physical (Body) quadrant, as this seems to fit much better than determination as a Physical sense.

This change just makes the entire thing flow a bit better, as electrum is no longer 'odd'.

The AoL release probably also means that the RPG's notes about hemalurgy are bunk: if there is no temporal feruchemy, one can't very well steal it.

I assumed that referred to Feruchemical abilities using the temporal Allomantic metals.

• Chaos locked this topic