The Importance of Spike Placment

Baijo Gosum

So I'm a little confused about the importance of spike placement. It seems to me that getting a power from a spike dosn't require a unique placment.

For example, the 3 bronze burning spikes we know of

Vin - in Ear

Quellion - in arm

Inquisitors - in chest

All different places, but get the same power.

Pweter burning spikes

Spook - upper back

Inquisitor - in chest (or it could be the one in their back)

Zanes Steel pusing spike was in his chest, I always assumed that the inquisitors steal pushing spike was one of the two in the eyes.

I was also thinking about when Vin "push" Human to make another kolos. I didn't get the impresion that he was concerened with accurate placement.

So I am leaning twords the theory that when it comes to getting a power it dosn't matter where the spike is placed.

Now when determing what power is transfered in a a spike when their our multiple possiblities (mistborn, keeper or a tin spike)than I imagin that placment would be important.

It also might be a big deal when making more "complex" constructs like an inquisitor. That same combo of 9 spikes in different locations might have a different out come.

A side question, how many spikes does it take to turn you into a construct? The mistborn rpg implies that two human strentgh spikes realy messes you up, but you don't become a construct until 4.

If I'm missing something I would love some help lol

Thanks

A side question, how many spikes does it take to turn you into a construct? The mistborn rpg implies that two human strentgh spikes realy messes you up, but you don't become a construct until 4.

I guess it takes as many spikes as needed to lower one of your stats to 0. And losing humanity is a continual process, every spike distorts you. A “construct” isn't, I think, something that actually exists in-world or in game terms. I don't know how to explain it well. I mean, in D&D (not that it is anything bad in that game) you have types, and you have a human, he does something strange and *pop* – suddenly his type changes to aberration. Both philosophically and in game mechanics he is something different and nonhuman.

In Cosmere, I think, it is more gradual. One spike, -1 Spirit. Two spikes, -more... Until it gets to 0 and *pop*. Or maybe not... It's an interesting question – are the koloss still human (I suppose Cosmere has a good and precise definition of human, which may be quite interesting)? If not, where's the point in which you stop being human?

I know they're blue, crazy and biologically weird, but that is not what I mean. I mean more something like “do they have souls”? In Cosmere it seems a valid scientific problem. Also, are kandra human?

Actually, my theory on the matter is that Brandon, as is typical of him, placed the clue (or perhaps some intelligent, witty joke I have failed as yet to see) in naming Vin's koloss "Human".

Seemingly, this Koloss, who is nearing the end of its lifespan, has reasonable shards of intelligence. Again, forgive the pun, but perhaps these spikes are Splinters of Ruin, just like the ability to Snap (from Lerasium or genetics) is the Splinter of Preservation placed within humanity. Perhaps Ruin placed his Splinters in "constructs"? Again, this is all out of the box, but it raises the question: Can Shards purposefully Split themselves into smaller parts?

It seems very possible, if not likely, because this is exactly what Preservation does with both the Mists, and the Well of Ascension. And Ruin perhaps does this with Atium? And Lerasium from Preservation.

If these are Splinters of Ruin, it would very well explain his more direct control over them the more spikes placed within a single "construct", as well as the benefits of Atium in Hemalurgy as the "wild card" spike, able to steal any attribute. Then this would suggest that there is still as 'subdued' humanity within them.

When Human attempts to 'recycle' the spike when he tries to make a new Koloss, is he following directions from Vin's Allomancy when she "Pushes" his feelings with the Riot metal (brass, is it?), or a natural reaction to Preservation's Splinter by a Ruin Splinter (inside the Koloss)?

This would make them simple, seemingly mindless, Slivers of Ruin? Are the Kandra and Inquisitors so as well?

That would also make Vin (from the Well) a Sliver, and perhaps Elend from consuming the lerasium (and perhaps the oringinal Allomancers too). Maybe every single Allomancer?

• Chaos locked this topic