What is a torment?

SirFlapFla

48 minutes ago, SirFlapFla said:

I am not to good with dawnshards so I don't know how they work. Why does sigs torment exist. I know when hoid had the same dawnshard he couldn't hurt people or eat meat. If you could give me a basic run down that would be great, thanks.

We don`t really know much about how the dawnshards work. 

We know that the torment is caused becaused Sigzil (and Hoid) held a dawnshard (we don`t know if only this dawnshard will cause such effect) and now they can`t hurt people or eat meat.

What we saw in SP4 is the the most detailed interaction we saw of the torment.

19 hours ago, SirFlapFla said:

If you could give me a basic run down that would be great, thanks.

There is a WoB that goes into this in more detail.

The TLDR version is the holding a Dawnshard, even briefly, will have a permanent effect on you, will warp your soul. It is this change that Nomad has named a Torment. Hoid had similar changes, though to a lesser degree and does not consider them a torment. Other holders might even consider the changes a blessing, perhaps Rysn who now has something similar to the Third Heightening.

Personally, I think that the degree of change will increase the more invested the holder of the Dawnshard is and how long you hold it for. Rysn has seen very minor changes and is not invested. Hoid had more extreme changes, placing his possession much earlier, before he acquired so many magical arts. Nomad has the worst changes we have seen so far, leading me to believe he either held the Dawnshard for a very long time or he gained immensely in power before holding it, potentially becoming a hearld, bonding multiple spren, or fully merging with his spren.  (Or maybe there are actually more ideals than the original Radiants could swear to due to limitations imposed by Honor, say a total of 10)?

17 hours ago, Yumiya said:

There is a WoB that goes into this in more detail.

The TLDR version is the holding a Dawnshard, even briefly, will have a permanent effect on you, will warp your soul. It is this change that Nomad has named a Torment. Hoid had similar changes, though to a lesser degree and does not consider them a torment. Other holders might even consider the changes a blessing, perhaps Rysn who now has something similar to the Third Heightening.

Personally, I think that the degree of change will increase the more invested the holder of the Dawnshard is and how long you hold it for. Rysn has seen very minor changes and is not invested. Hoid had more extreme changes, placing his possession much earlier, before he acquired so many magical arts. Nomad has the worst changes we have seen so far, leading me to believe he either held the Dawnshard for a very long time or he gained immensely in power before holding it, potentially becoming a hearld, bonding multiple spren, or fully merging with his spren.  (Or maybe there are actually more ideals than the original Radiants could swear to due to limitations imposed by Honor, say a total of 10)?

Thanks that clears it up a lot