Fresh Meat's thoughts

Serack

The bulk of the mods have already seen my compliments of this place. I'm a pretty big contributor on the Jim Butcher forums, and from that experience I've seen how thoughtful newbies can stir up some good ideas amongst the seasoned veteran theorizers, so before I spend the many hours I intend to do going through the entire Brandononthology, and some of the heavier theory posts here, I thought I'd throw my stick in the mud.

I /just/ finished reading The Way of Kings, and right before that I did a reread of Elantris. I haven't read the Mistborn Trillogy in a couple years, and I haven't gotten at Alloy of Law's sample chapters yet. I've read Warbreaker as well.

Ok so my thoughts. Unfortunately, my tradeoff for not having to carry around a 20lb blunt weapon is that my e-reader doesn't do a good job of displaying the "journal" Pages...

I just saw last night how the script from Navani's notebook has been translated and she seems to equate the stormlight saved in gems with sprens being trapped in them... But if that's the case, how come they only get "charged" in storms?

So one of the thing's I am thinking about is the effects of the highstorms...

1. Pummel the land
  2. Infuse Gems with Stormlight
  3. Nourish the land with crem infused water

I'm wondering if there is some hidden significance with the crem water... Remember that the lake in that interlude retracts before the storm, and that it was emphasized a few times that the water that flows through the gullies in the shattered plane goes somewhere... And people spent time chipping off the crem stalactites and such... which is either just another world enriching detail to make it seem interesting, or could have extra meaning for the crem...

When it precipitates out of water, it seems to harden and such, yet the plant life in the books seems to have become animated and laps it up. (I wonder if there is no crem in the Shen lands) It is probably also associated with so much of the fauna having exoskeletons...

Speaking of exoskeletons... well I'll save that for my next post, since this one is getting long and rambly

ETA: 1 more thing... I could have sworn there was a description of parshendi or parshamen having arrow shaped faces, but 45 min of searching on my e-book came up with nothing. Can anyone substantiate that one?

Edited by Serack

1 more thing... I could have sworn there was a description of parshendi or parshamen having arrow shaped faces, but 45 min of searching on my e-book came up with nothing. Can anyone substantiate that one?

The only arrow like face I can recall is the thunderclast's (it can be found in the prelude, don't have my book with me or I'd post the quote)

My current pet theory revolving around the crem actually has to do with the fact that I think it might have a connection to the Stormfather, or Odium, or one of the Shards. Similar to how Ruin's "body" came in the form of Atium and Preservation's in Lerasium, I feel like maybe the crem is the "body" of a Shard, which comes with every Highstorm. Or perhaps it is a kind of "opposite" to the Stormlight, which might, in turn, be connected to the Shards. Part of this theory also comes from the theory I have (I'm sure others have it, too) that Cultivation is stuck in Shinovar under some agreement made with Rayse, similar to the agreement made between Preservation and Ruin. Just my two cents there, though.

ETA: 1 more thing... I could have sworn there was a description of parshendi or parshamen having arrow shaped faces, but 45 min of searching on my e-book came up with nothing. Can anyone substantiate that one?

Odd, I could've sworn there was a quote...

Edited by Aashyma

Part of this theory also comes from the theory I have (I'm sure others have it, too) that Cultivation is stuck in Shinovar under some agreement made with Rayse, similar to the agreement made between Preservation and Ruin. Just my two cents there, though.

Well, since you bring up Cultivation, perhaps the crem could be related to that Shard. After all, the flora of Roshar seems to use it as food. That could fall under Cultivation's purview.

Odd, I could've sworn there was a quote...

Here are the quotes I found describing arrowhead shaped or arrowlike faces, from my earlier research. Nothing on Parshandi or Parshmen though. (I usually include chapters in quotes like this, but my ebook groups things by book and not chapter for The Way of Kings)

The body of a dying thunderclast. The enormous stone beast lay on its side' date=' riblike protrusions from its chest broken and cracked. The monstrosity was vaguely skeletal in shape, with unnaturally long limbs that sprouted from granite shoulders. The eyes were deep red spots on the [b']arrowhead face[/b]...

...The beast's hand was as long as a man was tall...

...cracked, oddly shaped hollows where thunderclasts had ripped themselves free of the stone to join the fray.

The chasmfiend towered like a mountain of interlocking carapace the color of dark violet ink. Dalinar could see why the Parshendi called these things gods. It had a twisted, arrowhead like face, with a mouth full of barbed mandibles. While it was vaguely crustacean, this was no bulky, placid chull. It had four wicked foreclaws set into broad shoulders, each claw the size of a horse, and a dozen smaller legs that cluched the side of the plateau.

The first interlude:

No foreigner like this one you mention-with his white hair' date=' clever tongue, and [b']arrowlike face[/b]-has been seen.
Way of Kings[/i]"]Those aren't stones. They're creatures. Massive creatures' date=' easily five or six times the size of a person, their skin dull and grey like granite. They had long limbs and skeletal bodies, the forelegs-or were they arms?-set into wide sholders. The faces were lean, narrow. [b']Arrowlike[/b].

I thought the scene where Shen got upset when the parshandi corpses were moved described his face as being arrow like but reading it doesn't seem to reveal that. Also, the scene where Dalinar notices that some of the Parshandi seem feminine, does some describing of the faces without mentioning any arrow like nature. Also, the scenes where Jasna and Shallan conclude that the Parshmen are voidbringers don't mention the shape of their faces.

Edited by Serack

Since this seems pretty WoK specific, I'm going to move that over there.

I don't remember Parshendi or Parshmen having Arrowlike faces. I remember Hoid having an arrowlike face, and the big monsters that Dalinar sees during Nohaden's time having arrow faces, but that's it.

• Chaos locked this topic