Harmonium

The Grumpy Elantrian

This is perhaps an insignificant matter, but why do we call it Harmonium?

None of the other shards who have metals have their metal named after the shard (that I know if) but instead of the holder of the shard. i.e:

Ati = Atium

Leras = Lerasium

Trell = Trellium

So surely it would follow that rather than being called Harmonium it is called Sazium, or something similar, instead.

Has Brandon said anything on this? Do we know it's called Harmonium for sure? If so, I'm annoyed at the inconsistency. 

Because Sazed (read Brandon) doesn't like the way Sazedium sounds. 

youshallnotpass

Will there be a metal called harmonium in the mistborn world?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO. But good question.

WeiryWriter

Just an fyi but you have confirmed the existence of harmonium before. (And this is probably a RAFO, but is there a reason you didn't follow the convention of the other "god metals" and call it something like sazedium? "Harmonium" just seems out of place.)

Brandon Sanderson

Sazed didn't like the sound of Sazedium.

source

Not to mention, "Harmonium" could only sound better (or worse) than "Sazedium" if "Harmony" is actually the Scadrialese(?) word for harmony. That is, the word is the same in the fictional language and the meta-translation. Otherwise, "Harmonium" would actually be some other set of letters/syllables before the -ium. And since we've no clue what that set would be, how are we to judge that it sounds better than "Sazedium"? (Of course, Sazed knows the actual word for harmony, in his own language, so he might well know that "Harmonium" sounds better (to him) than "Sazedium.")

• Chaos locked this topic