I recently found an old Ematic Funtab pro, and I decided that I wanted to make it into something useful, or turn it into a brick trying.  I have been unable to get to any sort of bootloader or recovery menu, but while looking around with 

adb shell

I found a flash_image command, which I intend to try to use to put a new image on, unless anyone else wants to recommend something different.  My main question, for those of you still reading, is where should I go to get the image to put on the tablet?  I have checked for just a generic android image, similar to how you can find generic versions of Debian at https://www.debian.org/distrib/, but there does not seem to be any such thing for android.  I have not been able to find reports on what kind of hardware the Funtab uses, so I do not know if I will need specific drivers for any of it, but I am willing to try without any drivers.  Any help would be appreciated.

P.S.

Before someone posts it, I know that devices like these are typically considered worthless, bricks, or better off left alone, and that any attempt to change them may break them and is almost certainly a waste of my time.  

Hey man, its your device.  Don't let anyone give you issues for doing what you want with it.

As for help, I don't know much about putting an new OS on a tablet yet.  I do know you need to have access to the boot loader, then tell the boot loader to look for the OS files in a new location.  But you've figured that part out already it seems.

My issue is, I don't really have an old tablet that still functions.  I tend to use them till they are, quite literally, falling apart.  Then smash them and toss them.

I do know, Ubuntu has an older mobile version floating around out there.  Maybe you could try to get that running on your device?  Or are you firmly set on debian?

You might need new drivers for the image you choose.  The one time I did my homework on that, I needed to download the non-compiled files, then add the drivers I wanted to use to the driver files the OS had, before re-compiling the OS in question.  My boss at the time, didn't want me spending that long on the project in question, and just canceled the contract.

Thanks for the response!  I was not really set on Debian, that was just my example because I knew that they had generic images.  Do you have any ideas about where I could look for the old mobile version of Ubuntu, or where I should check to find drivers?  Is it possible for me to get the driver files off of the device?

• 4 weeks later...

No idea myself, that's something you'd have to do your homework on.  I know it exists, but not much else.

Also: see here about that specific flavor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Touch.  It doesn't run on everything out of the box.

As for drivers, I would ask your device manufacturer.  Or you might need to write your own.

Sorry I can't be of much help on this front.  Have you asked around the internet?  Forums for Linux users, or forums for DIY guys, Engineering sites, ect.  I can't give you a specific one, because I don't know your needs.

If you do manage to pull it off, def come back and let us know though.  I'd be interested to hear about the final product.