Elantris Leatherbound Question about Devotion's Shardpool

Youngy

So I received my Elantris copy in the mail today.

post-2580-0-82613400-1451426523_thumb.jp

Much excitement.

Basically I asked whether the reason Raoden couldn't interact with Devotion's Shardpool the same way Vin interacted with Preservations was because Devotion was splintered.

The answer is below:

post-2580-0-49434100-1451426535_thumb.jp

Intriguing.

It's a bit of an unfair comparison as Vin was a special case to start with.

She got 'chosen' by the mists when she was a baby to eventually take up the power of the well.

The difference between the shardpools probably remains the same, though, but Rashek would have been a better example than Vin.

I always thought that what we saw with the Preservation's Shardpool was a "special case" than a standard work of a Shardpool.

For example I have a great doubt:

Is the Ascended One actually consumed the power of the Shardpool to use a Shard-level's power for some secondons/minutes ? Or Does He simply take the control of the Shard for some seconds/minutes ?

If the second statement was true, using a Shardpool of a Splintered Shard don't make Ascend anyone and using a Shardpool of a full-minded un-Splintered Shard may end in a fight with the Shardholder or the Shardholder have to give you the privilegies (SUDO  :D  )

It's a bit of an unfair comparison as Vin was a special case to start with.

She got 'chosen' by the mists when she was a baby to eventually take up the power of the well.

The difference between the shardpools probably remains the same, though, but Rashek would have been a better example than Vin.

Raoden was a special case too, with the Dor trying to force its way out through him (much more so than the other Elantrians). Obviously there wasn't a conscious decision behind that since the Dor is splintered power and doesn't have a holder right now, but it was very similar. Raoden appears to basically have been Devotion/Dominion's Champion, though it did of course work differently.

jW

Edited by Jondesu

@Jondesu and @Stormgate: As Khriss would say, I find this unlikely, considering that Devotion is dead—and, by my best guess, has been for a very long time.

The reason why the Dor affected Raoden more was given in the annotations:

The reason that Raoden was subject to the Dor attacks was because he spent so much time practicing with the Aons. He began to make a bridge between this world and the Dor, and because of that, he gave the Dor a slight opening into his soul. I imagine that he isn't the first one to suffer something like this during the ten years that Elantris has been fallen. Other Elantrians probably practiced with the Aons, and the Dor eventually destroyed them. When it was done, they simply became Hoed.

By finally using the Dor effectively, Raoden relieved a little bit of the pressure, letting the nearby buildup of the Dor (the one that he himself had created by practicing so much) rip through him and fuel that single Aon.

Edited by skaa

Perhaps not Devotion's champion in particular, but there seems to be a Cognitive Shadow or something like one in Devotion's Shardpool. And, since Elantrians seem to be chosen based on whether they display devotion, it seems to pick them to become Elantrians in the first place.

So I suppose I'm saying that I think it makes sense for every Elantrian to be Devotion's champion, in some sense. Sort of like the Returned.

• Chaos locked this topic