The Way of Kings Reread Questions

KevThinker

Hey Guys,

So I have been reading the Way of Kings again I believe this is my fourth time going through it. Each time I read a book like this, I notice small details and mysteries that I never saw before. I'm gonna be posting those questions here and hopefully some of them can get answered.

1. In the prologue, is there any significance to the drunk man encountered by Szeth while leaving the feast. This is the first character to speak in the entire book. 

"A man with a long grey and black beard slumped in the doorway, smiling foolishly-though whether from wine or a weak mind, Szeth could not tell. 

'Have you seen me?" the man asked with slurred speech. He laughed, then began to speak in gibberish, reaching for a wineskin."

2. In the prologue, Why is the statue of Shalash removed from the banquet hall? Was this done by King Gavilar because he knew something specifically about this herald and his role in the Oathpact?

3. The heading for Chapter 4 says "I'm dying, aren't I? Healer, why do you take my blood? Who is that beside you, with his head of lines? I can see a distant sun, dark and cold, shining in a black sky." 

Who and where is this referring to? When I first read it, it seemed to be a reference to Scadrial's solar system and the man with the head of lines a reference to an Obligator (Possibly Marsh, who did have facial tattoos). 

4. What happened on the night that Shallan's father died? Why will she refuse to remember those events? What happened to her brother who disappeared before her father's death? Who actually was utilizing the Soulcaster, Shallan's father or his surveyor?

5. What was the black stone that Gavilar had on him when he died?

6. Is there any signifcance to Syl leaving Kaladin before he heads to the Honor Chasm, was this a test of some sort? This reminds me alot of the biblical story of Abraham and Isaac. Syl seems to come back just in the nick of time. 

7. What does the phrase "Alavanta kamaloo kayana," mean?

4. What happened on the night that Shallan's father died? Why will she refuse to remember those events? What happened to her brother who disappeared before her father's death? Who actually was utilizing the Soulcaster, Shallan's father or his surveyor?

5. What was the black stone that Gavilar had on him when he died?

6. Is there any signifcance to Syl leaving Kaladin before he heads to the Honor Chasm, was this a test of some sort? This reminds me alot of the biblical story of Abraham and Isaac. Syl seems to come back just in the nick of time. 

7. What does the phrase "Alavanta kamaloo kayana," mean?

8. Is the Shattered Plain the same location that is the setting for the prologue? Are the Herald's blades somewhere on the plain? Is this what the Origin is?

9. What exactly does a Chasm Fiends turn into when it goes into its chrysalis? Are ChasmFiends powered by Stormlight as they have a gem heart? Are they some kind of ancient fabrial?

10. Are the Shardblades carried by the Alethi princes blades that came from the Knights Radiant or the Heralds? Also where are the Shard Plates that were worn by the Heralds when they ended the Oathpact? There is no mention of them relinquishing them as they did their blades. Is Saddeas a former Herald?

11. Are King Alokar's fears of assassination justified? They mention one instance where Alokar speaks with Dalinar about how he is certain there was someone in the dark watching him from his balcony? 

Stay tuned for more to come.

Edited by KevThinker

1. A lot of people think that's Ishar. I've seen a lot of debate, and very little solid evidence concerning him one way or the other. If each book will keep flashing back to that night, perhaps we'll learn a lot more... eventually.

2. Shalash is female. It's widely believed that she's Baxil's "Mistress", the woman who runs around defacing art across the world (for example, in the Lift interlude, one Herald's face is scratched out on the wall; it's assumed that this is still Shalash's work.

3. The man with a face of lines is prolly a cryptic, the symbol-head that Shallan bonds with. Lord alone knows what the dark cold sun in the black sky is. Braize?

Hey Guys,

So I have been reading the Way of Kings again I believe this is my fourth time going through it. Each time I read a book like this, I notice small details and mysteries that I never saw before. I'm gonna be posting those questions here and hopefully some of them can get answered.

1. In the prologue, is there any significance to the drunk man encountered by Szeth while leaving the feast. This is the first character to speak in the entire book. 

"A man with a long grey and black beard slumped in the doorway, smiling foolishly-though whether from wine or a weak mind, Szeth could not tell. 

'Have you seen me?" the man asked with slurred speech. He laughed, then began to speak in gibberish, reaching for a wineskin."

There have been a couple theories that he is either the Herald Ishar or the Herald Jezrien. However we do not know if there is, indeed, anything special about him.

2. In the prologue, Why is the statue of Shalash removed from the banquet hall? Was this done by King Gavilar because he knew something specifically about this herald and his role in the Oathpact?

First off, Shalash is female. Anyway the statue was presumably removed do to it being defaced by Baxil's Mistress. It has been theorized, and practically confirmed, that she is actually Shalash who is traveling Roshar destroying/defacing depictions of herself, often by gouging on their eyes.

3. The heading for Chapter 4 says "I'm dying, aren't I? Healer, why do you take my blood? Who is that beside you, with his head of lines? I can see a distant sun, dark and cold, shining in a black sky." 

Who and where is this referring to? When I first read it, it seemed to be a reference to Scadrial's solar system and the man with the head of lines a reference to an Obligator (Possibly Marsh, who did have facial tattoos). 

I do not believe it is a reference to Scadrial. I am of the opinion that it refers to the Cognitive Realm/Shadesmar since it matches the descriptions we have of it. The person "with his head of lines" most likely refers to a Cryptic, a type of spren that resides there that appear in Shallan's drawings.

Just got done reading the pre-released section from Words of Radiance. 

Spoilers for Words of Radiance

There's another reference in there to a defaced work of art. 

Huh, Lift thought, someone scratched a face off of that one. Who’d ruin a painting like that, and such a fine one, the Heralds all in a row?"

Edited by Windrunner
Please don't post WoR spoilers outside the subforum. Thanks!

In my opinion, the person with the head of lines may be Taravangian. This maybe taking place in his 'Hospital' where they remove the blood slowly. Taravangian is old enough to be referred by having a head of lines....

In my opinion, the person with the head of lines may be Taravangian. This maybe taking place in his 'Hospital' where they remove the blood slowly. Taravangian is old enough to be referred by having a head of lines....

It's possible, but you'd think there would be many other ways to describe Taravangian before referring to him as having "a head of lines".  In addition I'm pretty sure people in Karbranth would know what Taravangian looks like if only from the occasional feast or public event.  

My feeling is that it's a Cryptic as well.  

It's possible, but you'd think there would be many other ways to describe Taravangian before referring to him as having "a head of lines".  In addition I'm pretty sure people in Karbranth would know what Taravangian looks like if only from the occasional feast or public event.  

Good point. But it has been mentioned that people came to Kharbranth from far away places for healing. And why would those spren suddenly appear to dying people, unless they were deathspren of sorts...

Good point. But it has been mentioned that people came to Kharbranth from far away places for healing. And why would those spren suddenly appear to dying people, unless they were deathspren of sorts...

I'll redirect your question :)  Why would the dying person see Shadesmar?  

We don't know the mechanism by which the dying speak their truths.  They could be briefly between realms, able to touch and be touched by the cognitive aspects in Shadesmar.  If the person is able to describe Shadesmar, and we know that Cryptics have a close association with travelling to Shadesmar,  then it's not a stretch to think that there is a Cryptic involved in his dying moments.

We do know that Taravangian had some dealing with the old magic to make himself smarter, there is some kind of relationship going on between Spren and people that hasn't really been explained yet.

I'll redirect your question :)  Why would the dying person see Shadesmar?  

We don't know the mechanism by which the dying speak their truths.  They could be briefly between realms, able to touch and be touched by the cognitive aspects in Shadesmar.  If the person is able to describe Shadesmar, and we know that Cryptics have a close association with travelling to Shadesmar,  then it's not a stretch to think that there is a Cryptic involved in his dying moments.

Brandon Sanderson has stated before that Shadesmar and the Cognitive realm could be doorways to the afterlife of the Cosmere

Okay so questions #4

What happened on the night that Shallan's father died? Why will she refuse to remember those events? What happened to her brother who disappeared before her father's death? Who actually was utilizing the Soulcaster, Shallan's father or his surveyor?

Brandon Sanderson has stated before that Shadesmar and the Cognitive realm could be doorways to the afterlife of the Cosmere

Shadesmar is just another name for the Cognitive Realm. I think you meant to say "the Cognitive and the Spiritual Realms"

Also, it is generally better to edit your own posts than to double- or triple-post.

Edited by Aether

Okay so questions #4

What happened on the night that Shallan's father died? Why will she refuse to remember those events? What happened to her brother who disappeared before her father's death? Who actually was utilizing the Soulcaster, Shallan's father or his surveyor?

On the night Shallan's father died, what we know (going from memory) is:

• It happened in a dining room.
  • Nan Balat was beaten (unconscious?) by Shallan's father (?)
  • Shallan killed her father (?) with a Shardblade (?) which cut the Soulcaster, which was on his person. (She may have used a normal sword; there were several on the wall of the dining room, and there was blood underneath her father's corpse, which a Shardblade does not do.)
  • We don't actually know much for sure. There's not enough evidence.

Shallan refuses to remember the events because, like the rest of her family, she was broken by her father. She represses terrible memories and is terrified of conflict/has an anxiety disorder, Nan Balat has his insect-torturing moments, Asha Jushu (?) gambles compulsively.

What happened to Shallan's brother Helaran isn't known for sure, but a good portion of people believe he may have been the Shardbearer who attacked Amaram and Kaladin killed. He was in on his father's plans, the timeline works, and the Shardbearer who attacked Amaram was Veden, like Shallan.

I don't know who was using the Soulcaster. Shallan's father had it on him on the night he died, but Luesh knew how to operate it. I'd guess Shallan's father was the one using it.

Edited by Moogle

That death quote is almost certainly referring to Shadesmar. It mentions a dark and cold sun in a black sky, which matches Shadesmar. Scadrial isn't likely; prior to the end of the trilogy the sun was uncomfortably close. The empire was actually in the polar regions but even with the ash Luthandel could go through an entire winter without snow.

Also, the associated note is "Collected on the 3rd of Jesnan, 1172, 11 seconds pre-death. Subject was a Reshi chull trainer. Sample is of particular note"(emphasis added). It's highly unusual, since it seems to be the only death quote that refers to the specific circumstances of the dying individual and likely hints at the underlying mechanism in some manner. One possibility is that the quotes come from the cryptics, and for whatever reason this guy saw one and talked about it instead of relaying a message. However, I don't know why it would happen with that guy in particular. I did a quick search for Reshi, and this is the only death quote from one, but as far as I can see from the other mentions, their only notable traits are that they live on an archepalego north of the main contient, raid the Alethi sometimes, had one of their subgroups (not sure if ethnic or political) subjugated by Dalinar once and herd chulls.

Actually, that might be significant. Dalinar's chulls are apparently managed by Reshi, so in light of their somewhat strained relationship with Alethkar, their chulls and handlers are probably a major export. I don't think Dalinar would entrust an important component of his army to people from a hostile nation instead of residents of his territory unless there was some convincing reason to do so. It could very well be that chull herding is a highly respectable occupation among the Reshi and the guy in question was able to see into Shadesmar as a result. Or it might be that all Reshi would be able to do so; the city is about as far from their home islands as you can get and the sample size is probably minimal.

The other possible interpretation is that this was actually a standard death quote he relayed. Someone else saw into Shadesmar while dying in the hospital and the death quote came from him, which would imply that the death quotes are basically what other people's last words were/would have been if they could talk. Which carries the creepy implication that in order for this to be at all likely to have happened, an exceptionally large number of people must have died in that hospital, at least several thousand. Or it isn't the first one of its type and the method got used in the run-up to prior Desolations.

5. We really don't know. Smart money says nothing good, likely related to Voidbinding.

6. She went off to get something to cheer him up. I doubt she was deliberately testing him.

7. Language is from elsewhere. I believe it means something like "We are all crazy idiots" from context and the word I recognize.

Edited by name_here

5. Brandon indicated that there is a spren trapped inside Gavilar's stone, in the sense they are trapped inside gemstones used with fabrials. We don't know what kind of spren though. There's been theories of spren corrupted by Odium or actual Splinters of Odium but it's all guesswork right now.

I have this theory that is more of a wild guess than anything else. In short, the Parshendi are Voidbringers but not by their free will. In one of their forms, that I dub the Void Form, Odium is able to control them or at least manipulate them, kind of like Ruin with people touched by Hemalurgy. And the spren inside Gavilar's stone is the one that transforms the Parshendi into their Void Form.

questions cont.

8. Is the Shattered Plain the same location that is the setting for the prologue? Are the Herald's blades somewhere on the plain? Is this what the Origin is?

9. What exactly does a Chasm Fiends turn into when it goes into its chrysalis? Are ChasmFiends powered by Stormlight as they have a gem heart? Are they some kind of ancient fabrial?

10. Are the Shardblades carried by the Alethi princes blades that came from the Knights Radiant or the Heralds? Also where are the Shard Plates that were worn by the Heralds when they ended the Oathpact? There is no mention of them relinquishing them as they did their blades. Is Saddeas a former Herald?

11. Are King Alokar's fears of assassination justified? They mention one instance where Alokar speaks with Dalinar about how he is certain there was someone in the dark watching him from his balcony? 

Edited by KevThinker