Other Shards invested in Stormlight

Left

What I think is that other Shards have invested in Stormlight. It could just be Cultivation, or it could be her and a tiny bit of Odium. This would explain why Stormlight heals you, why Stormlight has so much investiture, and why stormlight comes with the Highstorms- which we know have been invested in by more than just Honor. I think that this could also explain the difficulty in staying still while having stormlight sucked in- which reminds me of the thrill a little bit( there's differences obviously but they seem similar)- although this could just come from the huge amount of energy that you have inside of you.

Thoughts? WoB that disprove my theory?

Thats not a bad theory.. Ruin and Preservation worked together to create.. I dont see why 2 shards cannot be involved in this type of investiture.. maybe the different powers reflect different intents.?

Q: As far as I can tell, in SA, we have seen three different lights: the stormlight, the amberlight in the flashbacks, and the dark light in the stone.  Do those correspond to the three Shards?

A: No, the amberlight is more a function of...it’s no different than the stormlight.

Q: So, you see that in a storm?  Like when gems gather that in the storm?

A: That amberlight is more related to…so, no…you are not seeing something other than stormlight.  That is like saying that stormlight in a topaz is a different color than stormlight in a sapphire.  It’s not different colors; you’re just seeing it filtered through something. The dark light of the, um, the gemstone that Szeth was given is indeed something different and distinct.

Q: Voooiidlight?

A: Yes, it is related to a different shard.  How about that?  (clearly not a confirmation of “voidlight”)

Could be something there?

Edited by Shardmancer

I don't think Odium is in Stormlight, since I suspect that that is in the voidlight in Szeth's sphere. But I like the idea of Cultivation in there, especially since it goes perfectly with the Intent-meshing Theory Moogle and I came up with.

No one, ah, actually made a theory post for that. But there was a thread in Cosmere Discussions we hijacked... I'll go look.

Edit:

Can't find it, so I'll just give you the rundown. The theory states that Shards with compatible intents will mix and form a single, shared magic system together, while incompatible ones will form two pure systems, one for each, plus a balance magic. It comes from how Devotion and Dominion, who go together very well, have a single region-locked system, while Ruin and Preservation follow the latter trend. The theory then predicts that, based upon this, Roshar will have three magics: H+C for Surgebinding, O+C for Voidbinding, and all three for the third (since Odium and Honor are incompatible, while Cultivation is compatible with both). And this has good evidence: Surgebinding has spren from both Honor and Cultivation, and the Ideals are pretty Cultivation-y. Voidbinding's chart has Cultivation featuring prominently on it, and we know the third system involves fabrials, which seem pretty neutral. There was more I think, but I forgot by now.

Now if your theory is true, then Stormlight, the power source of Surgebinding, would happen to have the same Shardic composition as their magic system, which would be very powerful evidence.

Edited by PorridgeBrick

That's a excellent theory, and it really does tie into my mine. Or rather mine ties in well with yours. I think that of all the theories I've read this one is definitely the most grounded in what we know, and also fits into Brandon's style.

I hate to double post, but I have new info so I don't mind doing it this time.
I was rereading WoR and in part three in the first? epigraph it talks about mushing "powers" together while talking about surge binders. I don't have my copy with me so I can't give the direct quote, I'll edit when I have it.

But it is not impossible to bled

Their Surges to ours in the end.

It has been promised and it can come.

Or do we understand the sum?

We question not if they can have us then,

But if we dare to have them again.

-From the Listener Song of Spren, 10th stanza

Pg. 377: chapter 33.

I'm not sure if this really ties in, but it might. It's really ambiguous(typical Brandon) so I don't know if it really helps anything.

Edited by CalebTheGeek

The theory then predicts that, based upon this, Roshar will have three magics: H+C for Surgebinding, O+C for Voidbinding, and all three for the third (since Odium and Honor are incompatible, while Cultivation is compatible with both). And this has good evidence: Surgebinding has spren from both Honor and Cultivation, and the Ideals are pretty Cultivation-y. Voidbinding's chart has Cultivation featuring prominently on it, and we know the third system involves fabrials, which seem pretty neutral. There was more I think, but I forgot by now.

While it could mean that Voidbinding is O+C, I think it could also be H+O+C since ten is a pretty big number with Honor, which could mean our third fabrial system (which is "esoteric") could be O+C. I've never felt quite certain.

..., and all three for the third (since Odium and Honor are incompatible, while Cultivation is compatible with both). And this has good evidence: Surgebinding has spren from both Honor and Cultivation, and the Ideals are pretty Cultivation-y. Voidbinding's chart has Cultivation featuring prominently on it, and we know the third system involves fabrials, which seem pretty neutral...

Like atoms. Two atoms that can't directly form a bond, but with an, er, a sort of third party, they can become a molecule. So these "atoms" are shards, and the "molecule" is a magic system?

Because otherwise I am totally lost...

Like atoms. Two atoms that can't directly form a bond, but with an, er, a sort of third party, they can become a molecule. So these "atoms" are shards, and the "molecule" is a magic system?

Because otherwise I am totally lost...

Think more oil and water. Each type of distinct Investiture results in a magic system on a planet, but some Investitures mix and some don't. Ruin and Preservation were polar opposites, so you got one system for each (Allomancy and Feruchemy), but the little bit of them that did mix made Feruchemy. Devotion and Dominion mixed together really easily, though, so there's only one system.

• Chaos locked this topic