Does the book describe Hoid’s guitar?

Question

Hello,

Just to put it out there I have not read the Stormlight Archives I’m here for help getting a present made for someone who is a huge fan of all things Sanderson. So my question is what does Hoid’s guitar look like? Do any of the books provide a description of the guitar or type of guitar that it is? I would like to get one custom made if needed so please give as much detail as you can!

Thanks a ton!

6 answers to this question

I can only remember hold playing a - according to Kaladin - strange instrument with strings made of polished wood. No detailed descriptions in there. I can't remember if Hoid played an instrument when he met Taln at the gates of Kholinar and I don't have the book with me to check. The other times I remember him playing music was with a flute..

But there is fanart that shows Hoid with a guitarlike instrument: https://stormlightarchive.fandom.com/wiki/Hoid

The Epilogue of Way of Kings describes the instrument as:

...his enthir, a square, stringed instrument. You played it from above, plucking it's strings while it sat on your lap.

So... maybe something like a zither? No neck, just a box with strings?

Also from a scene in Words of Radiance:

...tuning some kind of strange instrument on his lap made of taut strings and polished wood.

he tucked his instrument under his arm, took his bag and sword, and walked towards the doorway out

So I'd say it's fairly small as well.