Elantris is a literal compass

Ripheus23

I got to thinking, maps usually have compasses. Arelon has the distinction of being shaped like the fundamental Aon, and the focal point of Aonic power is in a city shaped like a compass. Something to do with the "cartographic" relationship between Arelon/Aon Aon on the one hand, and Elantris/the gate cities on the other, is the source of the special power that Elantris has.

If the city is a compass, which way is it pointing exactly? It has four points, (the surrounding cities) but no distinction between which one points north or anything. Unless there's something in new versions of the book I haven't seen. I just have the pocket paperback size one. 

Yes it's canon, but it's also something that can be overlooked. I think Khriss overlooked this fact when analyzing the issue of why some people become Elantrians, although how exactly Elantris being a compass determines why that happens, IDK. (I assume Khriss would have been in a position to figure out why/how, otherwise speaking.)

3 minutes ago, Ripheus23 said:

Yes it's canon, but it's also something that can be overlooked. I think Khriss overlooked this fact when analyzing the issue of why some people become Elantrians, although how exactly Elantris being a compass determines why that happens, IDK. (I assume Khriss would have been in a position to figure out why/how, otherwise speaking.)

We know that Elantris is not a necessary component of whatever creates Elantrians, because Elantrians predated Elantris.  

The Shaod is a production of The Aon that is Elantris, but you can't have AonDor without Elantrians... It's a conundrum. 

Personally, I think that originally, AonDor was more like the other magic systems. Learnable and usable by anyone of the right heritage. When they built the city, they somehow changed the magic. 

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

The Shaod is an effect of Elantris.

source

chalkonthewall

In Elantris did Elantris ever not exist? like before it was built did the Shaod choose people? and if it did was their power the same? I'm mostly asking that if they were to build another Elantris in Teod would Elantrians be just as powerful over there?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, there is a point where Elantrians didn't exist. Excellent question. The rest is a RAFO.

source

Brandon Sanderson

Weak Aons

Elantris is like a massive power conduit. It focuses the Dor, strengthening its power (or, rather, the power of the Aons to release it) in Arelon. This far away from Elantris, however, the Aons are about as powerful as they were before Raoden fixed Elantris.

If you consider it, it makes logical sense that the Aons would be tied to Elantris and Arelon, yet would work without them. The Aons had to exist before Elantris–otherwise, the original Elantrians wouldn't have known the shape to make the city. Their study of AonDor taught them a method for amplifying Aon power.

source

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 1:30 PM, Ookla, the Hivemind said:

The Shaod is a production of The Aon that is Elantris, but you can't have AonDor without Elantrians... It's a conundrum. 

Maybe when Dominion and Devotion were splintered something happened in that event that made the first Elantrian. A Shard being splintered in no small thing, it would have wrecked all kinds of havoc on Sel.

I think the only thing that changed was the language of the Elantrians. We find out that the dor is not only accessible with aons, but with other languages, too. It makes sense that the dor was accessed by Elantrians using a different language, then they built elantris, and the language changed.

1 hour ago, Ripheus23 said:

Didn't the Elantrians NOT build Elantris? Like, the Aonic people found the city already there when they migrated?

*Uses this as evidence in my long-suppressed "Adonalsium was a city" theory*

Yes, the Aonic people found Elantris abandoned when they migrated to Arelon (per Coppermind). 

However, somebody had to have built it.  They also had to be "Elantrian" because otherwise they wouldn't have know how to make the Aons.  

Brandon Sanderson

Weak Aons

Elantris is like a massive power conduit. It focuses the Dor, strengthening its power (or, rather, the power of the Aons to release it) in Arelon. This far away from Elantris, however, the Aons are about as powerful as they were before Raoden fixed Elantris.

If you consider it, it makes logical sense that the Aons would be tied to Elantris and Arelon, yet would work without them. The Aons had to exist before Elantris–otherwise, the original Elantrians wouldn't have known the shape to make the city. Their study of AonDor taught them a method for amplifying Aon power.

source

I think a lot of the seeming contradiction in WoBs is that there's a difference between current Elantrians (who are Aonic) and the original Elantrians (that we know virtually nothing about).  

• 1 month later...
  • Chaos locked this topic