Soulcasting Mind Control

OdiYum

While re-reading the Way of Kings, the mugging in the alley scene got me thinking.  Words of Radiance showed us that soulcasters offer stormlight to objects so that they can change their cognitive view of themselves, changing their physical attributes (I think...).  My question is can you forcibly change someone's perceptions using soulcasting?  We know the night watcher did it to the "I see everything upside down" guy from the interludes.  Can you go further and make someone obedient to you via soulcasting? 

That's spren controlling people.  I was wondering if people could control people using soulcasting as a medium, but yeah that is the only relevant mind control information from the series so far.  Thanks!

I suppose it's possible, though that would be a high precision level of soulcasting.  I guess you could soulcast the blood (it being one of the essences), much like Jasnah did, since blood flows to the brain and would potentially have an effect on thought.  You'd have to get the exact qualities of the blood right to influence thought.  Seems like a tall order.

I reckon the only way you could use soulcasting to mind control someone would be to forcibly override their Cognitive influence over their body parts, which should be pretty hard to do. I don't think you could soulcast someone to the degree that they think in a different way, but you could potentially soulcast someone's heart or brain into a lump of rock.

I think that Mind control would be easier with forgery. With soul casting you changing it completely with out giving it a reason beyond stormlight. Forgery uses much less investor because it offers a reason (Alternate past) why it should change. With something as complex as the human mind I think it would be almost impossible to change somebodies views so completely. Even with forgery, which seams a lot more flexible, you have to know somebody completely before you make changes. Even with the few cases we've seen of the Nightwatcher she didn't change they're emotional views. With one man it's upside down world, and with another its just how smart he is, not his personality(Though that does seam at least partially changed if only due to his intellect). If we are to sea some mind control in The cosmere I do not think we have seen the world it would be on yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just really interested in soulcasting mind control because it seems like the way to counter Odi-spren's corrupting influence in the Parshendi.  If I recall correctly they exist in the cognitive realm more strongly than people, which is why they can change forms based on the spren that is inside of them (right?).  Maybe this is a way that you can expel the evil corrupted spren and give them some 'awesome' spren.  (I want Lift and Eshonai the be awesome TOGETHER!!!!)

• Chaos locked this topic