Iri Shard?

Juanaton

Question

So the Iriali are on their generational quest to populate every world in the cosmere (I know that’s not exactly it, but you get the idea). Do we know, or have any clues, about what started that journey? Was a specific shard responsible, and if so which one? Could they be connected to Trell?

3 answers to this question

These are the only wobs I could find in relation to ur question. Not much there but still very interesting. Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Is the Iri religion based on knowledge of the [Shattering], anything like that?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Kind of, yes.

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

But they don't know it?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

They don't know it, yeah. I would say yes, there are echoes of it. There are more recent events that they don't even quite remember that are more influential.     

Questioner

I’ve been fixating on this mass exodus. The Iriali, the Iri people, are they the people of the mass exodus? Or-- I've always wanted it to be the people of Threnody.

Brandon Sanderson

The Iriali are not native to Roshar.

Questioner

Okay, that's... what I've always assumed.

Brandon Sanderson

There is stuff going on on Threnody too, it shares some similarities

Edited by PelekinikeleT

It's generally assumed that the Iriali have been wandering around a few different planets, possibly Nalthis (Iri = Iridescent Tones + a few colour based phrases). There was a theory I saw a little while back that when Evi uses the simile "Life will be as white as the sun at night" she could be obliquely referencing Taldain. But as to where they came from originally, we don't really know.