Hoid's temptation

Ripheus23

So Warbreaker was supposed to be a quasi-prequel to the SA. Reportedly the Shard of Endowment is the Shard that Hoid would have been tempted to pick up. My guess is that Hoid knew the potential for Nightblood-like swords that this Shard might provide, and the development of Nightblood and suchlike weapons is crucial to Hoid's overall plan.

The WoB doesnt say he would have been tempted, it says that "if he were tempted by a shard" it would be Endowment.

I know it seems petty, but its an important distinction. Hoid may not want any Shard, but would pick Endowment if he were forced to choose. Thats not the same as being tempted by himself.

Personally I think he would prefer it if forced to take ons because its Intent would be the least limiting to his agenda.

I doubt mass-producing Nightblood forms much, if any, of his plan, he seems to be very occupied with other things.

33 minutes ago, supersmith said:

3 questions.

1. What is Hoid's "overall" plan?

2. Why would swords like Nightblood be crucial?

3. How would Hoid have known what breaths could do if, at the time of the shattering, they didn't exist? 

1. We don't know
  2. We can't say, given that we have no idea what his plan is
  3. I can't imagine that he was gifted enough in Foresight to predict a super strange application of a magic system of a Shard that didn't even exist yet (the entire concept of a Shard didn't exist)

Additionally, having endowment in itself isn't enough to make Nightbloods. He's a mixture. 

[suggestion]

Walin [PENDING REVIEW]

Does Nightblood contain any of Ruin's Investiture? Like, not atium, but...

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes, technically; and I'm not wiggling around that, because technically, location in the Cosmere and who belongs to what gets really weird, right? Because Ruin's Investiture is everywhere--but I'm not talking that way. I'm talking the way you actually mean it. 

source

3 hours ago, supersmith said:

How would Hoid have known what breaths could do if, at the time of the shattering, they didn't exist? 

Where there's a WoB there's a way.

Questioner

The nature of humans on different worlds, like people from Warbreaker have a Breath, people from Scadrial, do they have a Breath as well?

Brandon Sanderson

They do not.

Questioner

That's specific to the Endowment Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Yup.

Questioner

I've read that Hoid does have a Breath. Was he born with a Breath or--

Brandon Sanderson

Hoid was not born on Taldain-- err Nalthis, on Nalthis. So no, he did not start with one. But the magic was much different when he started. He was before the Shattering of Adonalsium so things are weird regarding him.

source

• Chaos locked this topic