Questions About the Surges

M'Hael

Upon rereading the interludes,it seems to me that each order that shares a surge can do the same thing. Take the surge Progression, both the Edgedancers and the Truthwatchers can use it in the same way. So is uniqueness of each order in how they combine the surges, or can the ones that share them that all do the same thing? Going off topic, would the surges of Division and Gravitation cause black holes?

http://coppermind.net/wiki/File:TWoK_Front_Endsheet.jpg

Here's the Double Eye of the Almighty. You've seen it before: it's the diagram at the front of the books. It depicts the orders of the Radiants in the large circles, and their surges in the smaller ones. The surges that are connected to an order by lines are that order's surges. As you can see, every Order has two surges, each shared with one of the adjacent orders. Per WoB, these surges work the same way for both of the orders that have them: but by using them together, you can do things no other order could do. For example, Stonewards have the surges of Tension, which makes things hard or soft, and Cohesion, which can make anything perfectly malleable. So they could take glass, mold it into a sword, and make it harder than steel. The two adjacent orders each have only one of those surges, so they could only do one part of that process. Each order also has unique abilities to them and them alone: Shallan's Memories for the Lightweavers, likely Kaladin's combat abilities for the Windrunners, something about the Nahel bond for Bondsmiths, etc.

Oh, and here's a labeled version of the chart, too.

post-9019-0-41118200-1397352349_thumb.jp

Upon rereading the interludes,it seems to me that each order that shares a surge can do the same thing. Take the surge Progression, both the Edgedancers and the Truthwatchers can use it in the same way. So is uniqueness of each order in how they combine the surges, or can the ones that share them that all do the same thing? Going off topic, would the surges of Division and Gravitation cause black holes?

You are referring to the Taravangian interlude where he says two of the Honorblades give Regrowth ability, correct? That confused me too. Previously I'd though that Reverse Lashing and Regrowth were unique to Windrunners and Edgedancers, and the other orders would get one unique ability too. But the Taravangian quote kind of implies that might not be the case, and Skybreakers could be capable of Reverse Lashing just like the Windrunners. Of course, it's still possible that Regrowth is shared by two orders, but Growth is the one available only to Edgedancers, so the theory is not completely out yet.

Gravitation does cause a black hole of sorts. The Reverse Lashing draws things to it. And yes, I would say their uniqueness depends on how they combine the surges.

For example, I think the Windrunners are considered more adept in travelling the skies compared to Skybreakers; and I suspect only Elsecallers can Soulcast things from a distance, while Lightweavers need to get close.

Skybreakers could be capable of Reverse Lashing just like the Windrunners.

The answer is yes. They are capable of a Reverse and Basic Lashing. Even Bondsmiths can use one Lashing - the Full Lashing, due to their sharing the Adhesion surge with Windrunners.

Edited by Ketek

The answer is yes. They are capable of a Reverse and Basic Lashing. Even Bondsmiths can use one Lashing - the Full Lashing, due to their sharing the Adhesion surge with Windrunners.

Obviously, the Bondsmiths can use Full Lashing. That's not what I'm talking about. And you don't know that Skybreakers can do both Basic and Reverse Lashings, just guessing. Read my previous post again.

Obviously, the Bondsmiths can use Full Lashing. That's not what I'm talking about. And you don't know that Skybreakers can do both Basic and Reverse Lashings, just guessing. Read my previous post again.

Not really guessing, no. The Skybreakers and Windrunners share the Gravitation surge - and unless the Reverse Lashing requires usage of the Adhesion surge, the Skybreakers are therefore capable of using it too. Same for Basic Lashings. We have a WoB saying that surges shared by different orders work the same, unless it's mixed with another surge.

As for Regrowth, it is available to two orders - Truthwatchers and Edgedancers. It's part of the Progression surge, not just unique to one order. And all surges are shared by two orders. 

Here you go (you can find it in the compiled WoB list):

Q:  Is the crossover surge for each Knight the same?
A:  To an extent, yes.  Each of the combinations make a little bit of a tweak to how things act.  But when you see the Skybreakers affecting gravity it will look much the same as what you saw on the Windrunners.

Okay heres my question about surges

1.What exactly is Tension about?I mean I know Brandon defined it as soft axial interconnections but that is just unclear.

2.Adhesion is surge of Pressure and Vaccuum.Not sure how Pressure or vaccuum could be responsible for sticking things together(Full lashing),so cld someone explain?

1. I did a bit of Googling on the term axial, and based on that I have come to the conclusion that it may mean the forces that hold something together. In short, I think a Bondsmith can weaken something that is strong in the first place (diamond) or harden something very soft (mud) by pulling together or loosening the forces that bind things together.

2. I have an inkling of how it might work but since my grasp of physics isn't that strong, I'll leave it for someone else to explain.

1.What exactly is Tension about?I mean I know Brandon defined it as soft axial interconnections but that is just unclear.

It's supposed to have something to do with rigidity. There was a WoB where Brandon gave an example of, IIRC, a towel being infused to become completely rigid. I can't quote the WoB to you, but I think it was asked at Steelheart Seattle signing.

It's supposed to have something to do with rigidity. There was a WoB where Brandon gave an example of, IIRC, a towel being infused to become completely rigid. I can't quote the WoB to you, but I think it was asked at Steelheart Seattle signing.

Thanks man.Hope to find the WOB

Okay heres my question about surges

2.Adhesion is surge of Pressure and Vaccuum.Not sure how Pressure or vaccuum could be responsible for sticking things together(Full lashing),so cld someone explain?

2. Suction cups. Basically, the weight of the entire atmosphere is always pressing on us from all directions. Suction cups create an area with less gas and so less pressure underneath the cup, and the atmosphere thus presses the cup hard against that surface from the difference in pressure. The full lashing works under the same principle.

• Chaos locked this topic