Hoid with breath?

Adolin

In Words of Radiance Hoid sings to Kaladin in jail. As he tunes his instrument he says something along the lines of, "Perfect Pitch makes this so much easier." In Warbreaker perfect pitch is a result of reaching a certain heightening. Any guesses or more information on Hoid with breath?

Don't you see? Hoid was actually referring to his favorite movie, "Pitch Perfect"!  :P

But yeah, this means he is at at least the Second Heightening. Did you catch the bit where he uses Allomancy?

When did he use Allomancy?

Here's my question: (WoR spoilers)

If Vasher came to Roshar because it is easier to obtain the Investiture needed to stay alive (Stormlight instead of Breath) could somebody from Nalthis use Stormlight to temporarily obtain any heightenings?

When did he use Allomancy?

It isn't directly said (although we do have WoB on it I belive) but in one of Shallan's flashbacks in WoR he puts something in his drink. Pretty sure it was to riot or sooth Shallan.

Edited by Levian

Here's my question: (WoR spoilers)

If Vasher came to Roshar because it is easier to obtain the Investiture needed to stay alive (Stormlight instead of Breath) could somebody from Nalthis use Stormlight to temporarily obtain any heightenings?

I think they likely could; what seems to be important with the operation of an Investiture is not exactly what form the Investiture takes but how it is used. I would bet that the same could be done with the Dor, if a Nalthian or a Rosharan came to Sel and was able to obtain access to it. Since all Shardic power derives from the singular power of Adonalsum anyways, it is all essentially the same thing. Pure Investiture is pure Investiture no matter what Shard it comes from.

So Breath and Stormlight are the same? Or have distant relations?

They are essentially the same thing; each is a manifestation of of a rather pure form of Investiture. They are each used to directly fuel a magic system, both can be held inside of a person, and both enhance the person holding them in specific ways. As I said, all Investiture is essentially the same because it all derives from the singular power of Adonalsium. If you closely analyze the magic systems of the cosmere, you see how they are basically different manifestations of a few different things. For example, Lightweaving appears on Yolen, Roshar, and Sel in differing forms. The Lashings and iron/steel Allomancy are both manipulations of gravity/force and work under similar physics.

So I guess the most accurate answer to your questions is that Breath and Stormlight are distant relations that can be used in the same way. I don't believe we have a direct WoB on all of this, but based on what we have been given it is as accurate a speculation as we can make.

Each Breath brings you closer to being Endowment as per WoB. Holding Stormlight should not grant you Heightenings, but it should be usable in Awakening.

Though likely there is some Honor equivalent of the Heightenings, by bringing you closer to Honor. It's just harder to observe because Stormlight fades so quickly, especially at higher levels of Investment. Voidbinders, however, can store stormlight perfectly, so they'll be a better guide. I wonder if this may have something to do with the ten levels of Voidbinding.

• Chaos locked this topic