My issue with Jasnah

Locke Lamora

110 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like the big reveal? (read the details below)

• Yes
    • No
    • Indifferent

My issue with Jasnah's survival is just that so many of the new Radiants are members of the same family, and that number may well rise with future books.

That doesn't really surprise me though...  Gavilar and Dalinar forged Alethkar into one kingdom, and despite doing certain things in a bloodthirsty way - Gavilar followed the codes and acted with honour etc, and would have instilled those values into his children...  Following Gavilar's death - Dalinar started following the codes and he and Adolin act with honour etc...  Being in high-ish positions politically as well might incline them to be more likely to be broken as well...

This bit is off topic but was triggered from me in a thought wave...

The more interesting question for me - is how the lighteyes/darkeyes thing works...  are the lighteyed potentially descendents of Radiants in time past?  Does this mean lighteyes are more likely to be radiants?  So far we know of five confirmed KR (including Jasnah) and 4 are of lighteyes by birth...  Kaladin also has a lighteyed name, and there is speculation his mother could have come from a lighteyed family in other threads...  (although I do wonder if Dalinar/Gavilar were lighteyed all their lives - their eyes could have changed because of bonding to Shardblades...).  But so far there seem to be a lot of lighteyed Radiants, and not many Darkeyed ones coming through...  is it eye discrimination, and perhaps Kaladin is right about the injustice in the world ;)

Kaladin was worried about what society would think about a group of glowing slaves...  imagine if Rlain bonds a spren and gets a Blade - how will they react to a lighteyed parshendi ;)

It would've been serious disappointment if she really died that way because that would've been worst death ever, at least from books I like. I didn't feel anything when she 'died' and one doesn't kill my favorite characters like that. My issue isn't with 'big reveal', but with the way Sanderson did it because her being alive at the end wasn't any kind of revelation for me at all. It was too obvious.

Edited by Cracknut

That doesn't really surprise me though...

It doesn't surprise me, it just kind of irritates me. If Jasnah had died then her spot as Elsecaller would likely have been taken by someone else not a member of the Kholin family.

I do wonder about how significant genetics are in determining Surgebinding potential, though. I guess it really comes down to the old question of whether spren are attracted to something or cause it. Are spren attracted to exceptional people or do they cause people to become exceptional?

• 2 weeks later...

At first I admit that I didn't read the answers (I still mostly avoid reading through the threads before coming up myself with one or another idea and sharing it).

Though it was said before that not every character would survive untill their book will come I never believed Jasnah really dead from that incident on the ship. May be I'm naive but my gut told me, she is to capable of surving to have died there. I mean, she's apparently a Soulcaster, an upcoming Knight Radiant. And she was more experienced with Shadesmar than Shallan. So my guess is that she used her powers to escape in a slightly similar way as Shallan did, though she seems to have been struck somewhere else.

I'm glad she returned and I hope we'll see more of her in the next book (and less Shallan :)).

I honestly thought she'd return way before the end of the book. So by the end i kind of felt that she wasn't coming back.
Wit's last epilogue didn't include any other major characters so i expected it to be the same. Pretty much jus Wit by himself revealing something.
So I was very happily shocked. I also love Jasnah as a character

• Chaos locked this topic