Khyrindor

Firstly, this theory has many holes, so feel free to pick on them, or fill them in.

We know that Szeth is a Surgebinder with Gravitation powers, but (as far as I know) we never see his supposed Windrunner Adhesion powers in use. Perhaps this is because he was a Skybreaker from the start. This would be a good reason for Nalan to 'retrieve' him.

But you say, "Szeth has Jezrien's Honourblade!" Perhaps not. Maybe he had Nalan's Honourblade from the start (This is the hole). We know Syl thinks that It is an Honourblade, but I think that Kaladin getting Jezrien's Honourblade would be redundant. MUCH cooler for him to have a third power. 

There's also a lot of confusion with Taln and Dalinar, so there's a lot we don't know about them. Brandon says that you can't bond with them, and yet Szeth can summon/dismiss his (This is another hole), which may imply that he doesn't even have Nalan's. AND he doesn't have a spren, which means that he doesn't have Skybreakers' powers naturally.

Am I missing anything? Now that Szeth UNBONDED his blade (according to Nalan) when he died, does that mean he lost whatever powers he had?

Let's hope we get more information in book 3!

Szeth uses the Full Lashing several times in WoK. That one's definitely based on Adhesion.

And just so you know, we've since had that whole "humans can't bond Honorblades" thing cleared up: they totally can. Brandon's also obliquely confirmed Szeth having an Honorblade several times.

Edited by Kurkistan

Which one is the Full Lashing? Don't have the book handy.

Thank you for the second part: You've filled in a couple of holes. If Szeth can bond an Honourblade, then he could have Nalan's (If the Adhesion thing is cleared up). By the way, can you put down a link to where it was cleared up? Want to see it for myself.

I'll go see the Ars Arcanum now.

EDIT: Nevermind, I remember when Szeth infused the door to the wall, so nevermind. It still seems weird that Nalan chose him as his ... Helper?

Edited by Khyrindor

EDIT: Nevermind, I remember when Szeth infused the door to the wall, so nevermind. It still seems weird that Nalan chose him as his ... Helper?

Szeth fanatically followed the laws of his people and upheld his own personal code of honor even despite the horrible toll it took on him. I can see why Nalan approves of him. I don't really think it's weird at all.

Also, the Honorblade was good training for Szeth, since he already knows how to use Gravity for when he becomes a Skybreaker. That's nice, I guess.

Edited by Moogle

Does the new sword that Nalan gives to Szeth not remind anyone else of the sword from War Breaker?

It is the same sword from Warbreaker. :)

If you look closely, you should be able to spot a certain grumpy character from Warbreaker in WoR as well.

Edited by Moogle

Well, Szeth doesn't have an Honorblade anymore, but I'm not sure what to make of your theory. I'm having a hard time following it. i'm just excited to see how the Assassin in White gets along with Nightblood. But yes, I think he lost the powers the Blade gave him when it unbonded upon his death.

• Chaos locked this topic