OB - Question about Mraize’s Helaran reveal

RadiantShard

So, I finished OB and there’s something that’s been bothering me about what Brandon revealed about Helaran. 

Mraize tells Shallan that Helaran was part of the Skybreakers when he was killed, which is where he got his shardblade from. But if that’s true, then when Kaladin killed him, wouldn’t Helaran’s shardblade/spren have left rather than materializing as a dead shardblade? We are told that Syl was bonded to an ancient Radiant who died before the recreance, but she obviously stuck as a shardblade because she was able to find and bond Kaladin. Wouldn’t that be the same for the high spren who bonded Helaran as a Skybreaker? If that’s the case, then his shardblade shouldn’t be able to be carried around by Amaram. Has Brandon said anything about this?

Mraize calls Helaran an acolyte (page 420) and a minion (421) of the Skybreakers, which seems far from squire status.  The letter also says that Nale would kill or bond to a highspren anyone close to bonding a (different) spren, so I don't believe that Nale would have given him a dead shardblade if he suspected Helaran was close to bonding a spren, even though Mraize's letter says so!  

“Secrets,” Pattern said. “There are lies in this letter.”

Sanderson, Brandon. Oathbringer: Book Three of the Stormlight Archive (p. 422). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

Perhaps Helaran wasn't even with the Skybreakers.  The information about the Sons and the Skybreakers apart from Helaran's involvement seems legit, so the lies must lie within the Helaran information.

Edited by Wit Beyond Measure

5 minutes ago, Wit Beyond Measure said:

Mraize calls Helaran an acolyte (page 420) and a minion (421) of the Skybreakers, which seems far from squire status.  The letter also says that Nale would kill or bond to a highspren anyone close to bonding a (different) spren, so I don't believe that Nale would have given him a dead shardblade if he suspected Helaran was close to bonding a spren, even though Mraize's letter says so!  

Perhaps Helaran wasn't even with the Skybreakers.  The information about the Sons and the Skybreakers apart from Helaran's involvement seems legit, so the lies must lie within the Helaran information.

If he was with the Skybreakers he was about as low a member as he could be. In ch. 19 of WoR Helaran tells his father he's with the Skybreakers so he probably was. 

I think one of the lies might be when Mraize writes that the Heralds are not to be viewed as allies. It's actually good advice, but Mraize is lying because he tries to recruit Ash later in the book. He doesn't want to be friends with the Heralds, he probably wants a more transactional relationship with Ash, but he is clearly trying to get on her good side by telling her where she can find Taln. He wants something from the Heralds and is actively trying to work with them while warning Shallan not to try to work with the Heralds. 

• Chaos locked this topic