Howdy

kaladar

Hello!

I've been lurking around the site and the Coppermind for a while now, reading interesting topics of interest while I was (re-)listening to WoK, WoR in the lead-up to Oathbringer. I finished OB last week. I got it digitally on launch day, but wasn't able to dive in right away, sadly.

In the last few months before OB, I listened to all of the Mistborn books and Warbreaker. I read Elantris and Arcanum Unbounded as well. I haven't read White Sand yet.

13 hours ago, MacThorstenson said:

As you have been lurking, you probably know better then to take a cookie, but they are here if you want them. You are exactly where I am in the cosmere. Out of what you have read so far what are your favorite parts? I love the Magic, especially hemalurgy.

Cookie.png

9 hours ago, T8* said:

Welcome to the Shard! Don't eat the cookie. Have an upvote.

What is your favorite magic system?

I didn't realize until yesterday afternoon that I hadn't actually finished AU - I was only about halfway! I read the Silence chapter and really, really dug it. Wouldn't mind going back there.

Storywise, I like SA/Roshar the most for its (continuing) depth in scale and character arcs. It's most close to WoT, which was my first (long-form) High Fantasy series (LotR's length feels quaint by comparison!). OB felt like a little bit of a firehose with the additional settings/cultures mixing in and the increased insight into the Listener/"Voidbringer" PoVs and expanding Surgebinder abilities.

Magically, I really like the Metallic Arts - especially in the Wax & Wayne era. Less all-powerful Mistborns and more uniqueness in the Twinborns. I liked the slightly shorter and quicker pacing as well. I have a feeling Hemalurgy will come to the fore in later books with more crossover between some of the systems, in potentially dire/sadness-inducing ways. =/