Would being killed by Nightblood keep you from going to the afterlife

Housedunn

That was actually asked earlier this year:

Questioner

So, if Nightblood, unsheathed, killed someone, would their soul still go to the Beyond?

Brandon Sanderson

So, that's gonna be a matter of-- There's gonna be disagreement in the cosmere about that. Nobody has been able to actively test it, because there are certain things you can see, but there are people who are actively discussing this concept.

Questioner

So, no one knows for sure?

Brandon Sanderson

Nobody knows for sure. And I'll just leave it at that. It's an astute question that even Vasher has-- Vasher has his thoughts, but he does not have a definitive answer, and others disagree with him.

Source.

The Beyond is the same as the afterlife in out world. It's existence is debated. And the Beyond is something that is intentionally left ambiguous that we will not get an answer too. 

Comebine that with Page's posted WoB above, and it a matter of opinion. If you believe that you are just the investiture that Nightblood consumes then yes, your gone. If you believe there is more... 

Edited by Ookla, the Incalculable

6 minutes ago, saitogaika said:

The more investiture a person has the more he can resist going to the Beyond.
If Nightblood consumes investiture wouldn't that force the victim to go to the Beyond due to lack of investiture?

That is the crux of the debate. 

Are you just the investiture that would be consumed, or is there something more that actually goes beyond?

13 minutes ago, Ookla, the Incalculable said:

That is the crux of the debate. 

Are you just the investiture that would be consumed, or is there something more that actually goes beyond?

I don't think people are just their investiture.

in Feruchemy investiture and Identity are 2 different attribute. And on Nalthis,changing breath(investiture) don't change the Identity.
But i may be just misunderstanding the concept of Identity. 

18 minutes ago, Housedunn said:

In theory but Nightblood kills on all three realms. There, in theory, isn't anything to go to the beyond

killing in the 3 three realms don't specificity mean that there would be nothing left. I mean Nightblood still leave a dead bodies in the physical realm.

if a mistborn consume Atium, the atium will get back to the Pits of Hathsin after a while and is not lost. Maybe it's the same with Nightblood, the investiture he consume isn't completely lost.

1 hour ago, saitogaika said:

killing in the 3 three realms don't specificity mean that there would be nothing left. I mean Nightblood still leave a dead bodies in the physical realm.

Nightblood doesn't leave a body. A single Scratch and the physical is completelly annihilated in black flames and nothing remains

On 02/12/2017 at 9:59 AM, Ookla, the Incalculable said:

The Beyond is the same as the afterlife in out world. It's existence is debated. And the Beyond is something that is intentionally left ambiguous that we will not get an answer too. 

Comebine that with Page's posted WoB above, and it a matter of opinion. If you believe that you are just the investiture that Nightblood consumes then yes, your gone. If you believe there is more... 

Don't we know, from Mistborn Era 2

Spoiler

that there is indeed a Beyond? Sazed spoke to Wax and gave him the choice to return to life, or go on ... 

17 minutes ago, toomsta said:

Hide contents

that there is indeed a Beyond? Sazed spoke to Wax and gave him the choice to return to life, or go on ... 

The issue is that even shards can't touch the beyond. Something happens when you die. What that is? 

So I'm sure all parties involved believe there is more, but we've not been given an answer, and we won't. 

7 hours ago, toomsta said:

Hide contents

Like Calderis said. Sazed has his own belief about the Beyond but he has not an actual knowledge of it.

• Chaos locked this topic