[OB] Moash...

Nymeros

So Moash was the character I was most interested in reading of in Oathbringer and his chapters were the first I've read in the book.

.....it wasn't what was expecting, and really they left me more confused than excited. He started off like a boss, taking down a Fused and showing why he was Kaladin best man but then, well..... how could someone a competent, rational, and intelligent as Moash work towards the destruction of his own species? Why would he willingly aid the Voidbringers? I was expecting a Radiant and instead I got a sombre Uncle Ruckus.

The only way that I could half understand his logic was to apply what I understood of racism and how criminality, deviance, hopelessness, and self hatred could result from the pressures of systemic racism.

So, some questions: why is he becoming so emotionless? Truly, I don't understand his muted reaction to the world. 

The voidbringers describe his as a man of passion but....why? He's generally cold but for a few moments of rage and violence. 

What's with the crazy laughing fit when he reached the lumberyard?

Is the voice in his head telling him that he did nothing wrong his voice or Odium's? Is there any hope for redemption or greater self realization for my boy?

Please help me to understand

Honestly, Moash is the only thing in the book that disappointed me. His mental snap just happened to quickly to be believable for me. 

And the voice in his head is definitely Odium. It's the same things being said to him as we're whispered to Dalinar. 

So uh... Moash/Vyre for Odium's Champ I guess. 

The way I took Moash is that he believed that light eyes were the problem and the man he trusted the most a darkeye captain that always spit in the face of the class structure flip flopped and defended the person he hated the most after agreeing with him that he needed to be removed and received a power up which turned him in to a light eye but Moash refused to listen to Kal blinded by his rage. The fused constantly mention how he is a man of passion i think this is mostly his rage and he rages at everything Kaladin, lighteyes, the social structure, and himself. This rage turned him against humanity look how it treats its own, I mean the fused don't really treat him any better but this doesn't bother him as there not human, he rages when he sees other parshendi treating parshendi as slaves. Moash logic is pretty messed up he hates the system and extrapolated that to all humanity, throws his lot in with the fused only because their not human and does some pretty horrific acts because of his hatred, its extreme but Moash has always been extreme.

1 hour ago, Nymeros said:

I don't remember this perfectly, but I think it was dramatic irony. They ordered him to carry ladders for an assault against humans, as a slave to listeners. It's the opposite of how he used to carry bridges. And the person giving the order doesn't realize how ironic it is.

On Moash - he was in a bad place and raging hard. Then Odium started grooming him, and doing what Odium does best: be the void. He ate Moash’s passion, and fueled it to eat more and to draw him more firmly into his camp. Meanwhile, Moash is being groomed and recruited by a wily fused who’s telling him just what she thinks he needs to hear. 

On 11/19/2017 at 7:26 PM, Nymeros said:

Honestly, I laughed pretty hard at that one too. Moash has been thinking recently about his Bridge Four days (it's one of the reasons he intervened to help the parshmen), and how he didn't DESERVE the things that Kaladin did for him to get him out of there (including his Shardplate/Blade), and then they finally get to the city's destination and he discovers it's a lumberyard, and THEN it turns out that he and his fellows are going to be running at the tip of the assault, with ladders...

Well, I thought it was pretty funny too, in a grim way. If that makes him crazy and Odium-touched then I guess I am too. :)

Edited by MaxWilson

• Chaos locked this topic