[OB] Kalad Glyph & Warbreaker Kalad

Blazenella

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but I recentley re-read Warbreaker. When Vasher fought in the manywar he was known as Kalad, with his awakened statues called Kalad's Phantoms. In Oathbringer when we go the glyph translation, we found out Kalad means "Eternal". My question is if this is a coincidence or if when Vasher went to Roshar (Which is confirmed that he went to Roshar before the manywar) he came up with this name due to his new knowledge of their glyphs. Any thoughts?

• Blazenella changed the title to [OB] Kalad Glyph & Warbreaker Kalad
44 minutes ago, Blazenella said:

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but I recentley re-read Warbreaker. When Vasher fought in the manywar he was known as Kalad, with his awakened statues called Kalad's Phantoms. In Oathbringer when we go the glyph translation, we found out Kalad means "Eternal". My question is if this is a coincidence or if when Vasher went to Roshar (Which is confirmed that he went to Roshar before the manywar) he came up with this name due to his new knowledge of their glyphs. Any thoughts?

I'm beginning to suspect that Nalthis and Roshar are more tied together than we know. There's also a Shash glyph in Warbreaker, or word at least, which is Alethi for 'dangerous'. There could be a connection related to the Dawnchant, but I doubt it has anything to do with Vasher specifically.

14 minutes ago, Rider of Storms said:

I'm beginning to suspect that Nalthis and Roshar are more tied together than we know. There's also a Shash glyph in Warbreaker, or word at least, which is Alethi for 'dangerous'. There could be a connection related to the Dawnchant, but I doubt it has anything to do with Vasher specifically.

In a WoB Brandon confirmed that the Shash correlation was just coincidence, but I doubt this is.

Just now, Blazenella said:

In a WoB Brandon confirmed that the Shash correlation was just coincidence, but I doubt this is.

Brandon has talked about Kaladin's name and how he came up with it. Originally it was based off of Paladin, but changed to a K to match the Haraldic names (i.e. Kalak). IIRC this is after Warbreaker. More recently, Brandon has said that they canonized Kaladin's name as 'Born unto eternity,' which would have then made Kalad mean eternal. I find it likely that 'eternal' was based off of Kaladin's name meaning (in Brandon's head, not in world). Now, in Brandon's head this is where it came from, but it's still possible that there's a larger connection between the Kalad glyph and Kalad being a person on Nalthis, but as I said, the languages of the cosmere all came from somewhere, so it could be explained away as being related to the Dawnchant.

Another thing to think about, Kalad from Warbreaker was much more recent than the Alethi language (and by extension, the Dawnchant). Kalad was at most 700 years before SA, whereas the Alethi language evolved since at least the Heirocracy.

I had mentioned that in the [OB] world Links topic....http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/62395-ob-world-links/#comment-635170

A few people responded showing that some of these are on purpose, others were coincidental.  Vasher taking Kalad as one of his names, especially the name of his most warlike myth, seems more than pure coincidence, I agree.

• Chaos locked this topic