Silly theory: What if Szeth is forbidden from killing Kaladin?

Sirscott13

This just occurred to me that we do not know enough about Truthless. They have a few rules such as not taking one's own life, and not giving up their shard blade, but what if they are forbidden from killing other surgebinders? I mean to me it always sounded like a flawed system. "We hate fighting and killing, so go and be ordered to fight and kill"? I mean seriously. 

I am growing suspicious that truthless have a different purpose altogether. What if they are just tasked in guarding honorblades or a way to draw out the knights radiant? Imagine someone from centuries ago going "hey how do we get the knights radiants to come out of hiding?" "I know! lets order someone to do a bunch of killing with surgebinding that no one else but a surgebinder can beat!"

Its silly I know, but what if Szeth goes to attack Kaladin and Kaladin whips out some epic surge binding powers and szeth breaks down in tears going "Finally! I am free!" Then he hands Kaladin his blade fulfilling his obligation as truthless and ta da! Szeth walks as a free man and Kaladin becomes a full Radiant! (And then just for kicks the blade warps into a spear [shardspear!]) Oh and then also Szeth becomes a good guy to redeem all the killing he has been forced to do. 

It may not go down as silly as that, but as it stands, I do not see Kaladin winning any fights with Szeth and the whole truthless thing seems flawed. I suspect something tricky is going to go down

yeah but thats because it involves orders. I am only just kidding in this and saying that technically he can't be ordered around if he is free...

Edit: haha he has to try killing Kaladin without an honor blade (surges gone). Then he still somehow kills Kaladin and calls himself stupid for the rest of eternity

Edited by WeiryWriter
Please don't double post, use the "edit" feature

From the text it sounds like Szeth was made truthless because of some theological disagreement with the stone shamans (perhaps wrt the final desolation?).  If he is to go free I think it would involve him finding proof that he was right and the stone shaman dogma was wrong.  This could very possibly have to do with Kaladin since I assume the word of an Honorspren about such things would be above doubt.

• Chaos locked this topic