Is Nightblood a Dawnshard?

snote

In one of the last, if not the last, vision Dalinar has, he was told, "It will be harder now, since we've lost the Dawnshards." It is then said that a Dawnshard could "bind" anything, voidish or other. I don't know what's implied by "bind" in that sense, I don't think it's ever really addressed specifically either. 

I just had that as a fun idea. Any takers?

Unlikely since Vasher and Shashara made Nightblood. Also, they made it only centuries before WoK as far as I'm aware, and by the sounds of the the Dawnshards are millennia old. The only way I could conceivably see Nightblood as being a Dawnshard is if Shashara and Vasher actually found a Dawnshard and used it as a base for Nightblood, but then Vasher wouldn't be worried about people making more weapons like Nightblood, so that's unlikely.

Unless of course you're thinking that Dawnshard is just an object classification and not an actual specific group of objects, in which case I would disagree entirely.

See Type IV Biochromatic Entities.

Spoiler

Metal and stone[edit]

Type IV BioChromatic entities are sentient objects made by Awakening inorganic materials like metal and stone. This requires at least the Ninth Heightening. Nightblood, a sentient Awakened sword, is the only known object of this type. He was created by Shashara with the help of her husband Talaxin, using a thousand Breaths and the Command "Destroy evil".

Nightblood is incapable of determining morality[7] and has a rigid way of thinking similar to a Spren on Roshar.[8] The large number of Breaths he contains also grants him incredible destructive power. The threat of more weapons like Nightblood being created eventually caused Talaxin to kill Shashara to prevent the knowledge of this form of Awakening from becoming public.

Stone is presumed to be similarly difficult to Awaken. However, Lifeless can be made by enclosing bones in stone, making near indestructible warriors. Talaxin used this technique to create the legendary Kalad's Phantoms.

Thanks for the replies. That actually answers my idea. I was thinking that the last vision came after we know Vasher was on Roshar, but forgot about the Dawnshards being in the histories of the planet. Meaning that it would have to be something other than Nightblood.

• Chaos locked this topic