Here is the thing with vorinism

Disorganizer

14 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

If the scribes are foolish enough to make their commentaries in the margins while writing it, even someone who cannot truly read should know the left-to-right format and call them out on that. (Simply watching a few scribes write a decree here and there should show them that text goes left to right)

I'm fairly certain it was said by Shallan that the scribe adds footnotes afterwards.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2016 at 4:01 PM, Disorganizer said:

While minor rules like male/female food are being ignored (Shallan ignores it at least once with little hesitation), the bit about writing being female, seems to be observed through all echelons of Alethi society.:blink:

Taravangian, Amaran and the Storm Wardens all break it. And possibly Renarin.

On 15/12/2016 at 8:39 PM, The One Who Connects said:

I cannot for the life of me remember where this was at the moment, but I distinctly remember Taravangian having learned the Alethi(Vorin?) Women's Script, so it is within the realm of possibility to do.

He inscribed a translation key, for the script he invented to cover his bedroom with the Diagram, on his bedside table.

Which would require him to be able to write.

Plus the whole written intelligence tests thing he does each morning.

7 hours ago, Dahak said:

Taravangian, Amaran and the Storm Wardens all break it. And possibly Renarin.

Yes. However:

Taravangian is from Kharbranth, which is not Vorin. ( or at least, Vorin doesnt have to be the dominant belief system there). And even if he was Vorin, chances are, that he would do anything to make his master plan come to fruition. If he has no qualms about assassinating world leaders, he wouldnt even blink if he is convinced he needs to become literate.

Amaran: As i said before, one of the main storylines in Words of Radiance is to establish to the world how duplicitous Amaram is. Furthermore, just like Taravangian, he has a secret agenda that he pursues relentlessly as well.

Storm Wardens Those are explicitly stated to be exempt from the rule, like Ardents. And as far as we know, Storm Wardens dont seem to occupy political/military positions either.

Renarin : That i dont know or i dont remember.

16 hours ago, Dahak said:

Amaran and the Storm Wardens all break it. And possibly Renarin.

Amaran and the Storm Wardens specifically use glyphs which are considered different from script, so they are not technically "reading" or "writing", so it is alright within Vorinism. It is noted by Shallan though that they are cheating by using glyphs in ways which they aren't suppose to be in order to develop it into a true writing system. Glyphs currently are designed only to represent concepts, like the glyph for Bridge 4. 

Edited by Spoolofwhool

1 hour ago, Charlie.x.3000 said:

Aren't Kaladin and his father able to read? Not being able to read would make becoming a scholar/surgeon pretty hard.They aren't being ostracized due to that.

They can't read, they simply know the Glyph and they learn with a combination of tons of images, memory and a woman who read to them medicine books.

• Chaos locked this topic