Shattering of Adonalsium

Herdazian

Ok so wild theory time.

Adonalsium was an ancient all powerful being that shattered at the beginning of the cosmere and created the 'interesting' situations that we are seeing. What most people seem to think is that Adonalsium's shattering was external but my sleep deprived mind thinks that there might be another possibility.

So we know from a WoB that Shards can intentionally create splinters of themselves. That's how we have the original spren on Roshar and how we have the preset spren of Cultivation. So my theory is that Adonalsium for some reason shattered itself. The reason may be that his power was too unstable. Another theory of mine is that each shard tries to mold a person into its own image. This is a forced change. Maybe Adonalsium became afraid, angry or suicidal at this force upon him and decided to stop him. Another possible theory is that Hoids was a friend of his that he trusted. They were trying to change the nature of his power. The method was somewhat like that implied in WoR of taking something apart and then rejoining it. Maybe that was the purpose of the shattering but at the moment of it a team of sixteen individuals possibly lead by Rayse emerged and took that power for themselve.

This is all speculation caused by excessive coffee. Please poke holes

Hoid only speaks poorly of Rayse and Bavadin, he seemed to have been friends, or at least on good terms, with several of the other original Shardholders, so I'm not sure that they would have been an opposing force to him and Adonalsium. 

One thing that might support your theory is the Stormlight interlude with the cobbler, I can't recall his name, who has his faith in the One who became Many to get to experience, and so understand, much more of the Cosmere. This could be a hint that Adonalsium did shatter itself intentionally, or allowed the shattering to happen.

One thing that might support your theory is the Stormlight interlude with the cobbler, I can't recall his name, who has his faith in the One who became Many to get to experience, and so understand, much more of the Cosmere. This could be a hint that Adonalsium did shatter itself intentionally, or allowed the shattering to happen.

You talk about Ym's Interlude.

• Chaos locked this topic