Why was the Renoux convoy raided?

makromag

I have read Mistborn several times now and the last time around I noticed something: When the Renoux convoy was raided by imperial soldiers none of the crew wondered about how the soldiers knew something illegal was going on, because they assumed Marsh told them. Marsh however never told anyone anything (At least that is what I think), so how did they know? I have theorized about Jastes Lekal having something to do with it, or perhaps Straff Venture, assuming the spy Ellen used reported to Straff as well nad while both are plausible enough I want to know for certain.

So is there anything I overlooked?

I read somewhere, I think in an annotation though I'm not sure, but I know it's WoB. I will try to find it for you. You know an Inquisitor was after Vin. They attacked Camon's crew, and Camon, when they traced Vin back to him. Much later, it was revealed that they took down Theron, having traced his connection to Camon, and by extension Vin. I'm still not sure exactly how this could be managed, but Mr. Sanderson's word on the matter is that the Inquisition followed Vin's trail until they realized it led to her alias as Valette, and so attacked the barge for that reason.

Good eye, though. I didn't pick it up on my first read. I did notice it on my second read, but then I heard the answer. Upvote for sharp eyes and a clever mind.

Darnam's got the right of it.

]By the way, the reason the Lord Ruler's army attacked Renoux was not because they broke Marsh. It's because the Inquisitors—still tracking Vin—finally managed to trail her to House Renoux, and therefore to Valette Renoux. They hit the convoy, fully expecting her to be on it. When she wasn't, they devised their trap, knowing that Kelsier would come for his friends. They never even suspected that the team had managed to get a mole into the Ministry ranks.

Yeah, there's more than one way to find things out.

Personally, I assumed that eventually someone put two and two together and figured out that a young, black-haired socialite had attended her first party the very night Vin raided Kredik Shaw and was mysteriously indisposed afterwards, then "relapsed" right when the rebels made a major move.

• Chaos locked this topic