The symbol on the flag on the cover

TheOneKEA

I was admiring the high-resolution background image on the 17th Shard Tumblr when I noticed that the flag held by the foreground character had a symbol on it that I hadn't observed before. I looked at it more closely and it looks like one of the symbols on the inside cover image, the one that shows the Ten Orders of the Knights Radiant, but I didn't see an exact match.

I went and checked the other inside cover image and I didn't see an exact match for the symbol there either, so it doesn't appear to be either a symbol of the Knights or a symbol of the other group. Has anyone been able to figure out what that symbol may represent?

I don't know if it necessarily represents anything. It might just be a symbol Michael Whelan painted for the cover. The covers aren't intended to be one hundred percent canonically correct, often to just give a feel for the book or a specific moment in the book.

I don't know if it necessarily represents anything. It might just be a symbol Michael Whelan painted for the cover. The covers aren't intended to be one hundred percent canonically correct, often to just give a feel for the book or a specific moment in the book.

That's certainly a possibility, but it looks so much like the inside cover symbols that I initially assumed that Brandon asked Whelan to put it there.

• Chaos locked this topic